Defense, can anybody play anywhere?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree its the parents job but not all parents are capable.
Everybody can sit on a chair and throw front toss or toss or roll GB and flyballs to their kids. With the amount of info out there nowadays parents should be able to educate themselves enough to help their kids if they are willing to learn. Yes I have a bit of an advantage since I played baseball in college but there are things I am still learning.

If you are then awesome! More than anything its a culture that I want my kiddo to be around. The culture of having that burning desire to be the best and not liking it when she loses. I know that I can be an influence in that but I want her to be on a team that stresses the same type of attitude. I can't stand seeing a team that laughs and doesn't really care if they lose. I'm not sure what organization you are referring to but good luck to you guys!
My DD plays for Athletics Williams 08, we played your DD's former team (Athletics 2026) in Frozen Chosin.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree its the parents job but not all parents are capable. If you are then awesome! More than anything its a culture that I want my kiddo to be around. The culture of having that burning desire to be the best and not liking it when she loses. I know that I can be an influence in that but I want her to be on a team that stresses the same type of attitude. I can't stand seeing a team that laughs and doesn't really care if they lose. I'm not sure what organization you are referring to but good luck to you guys!

Knowledge
+
Communication skills
+
people skills
= a Good Coach

Travel ball seems hard to find all three.
Maybe one coach has a quality.
Assist coach has another.
Team manager has the other.

For instance you may find a good facilitator who can run a practice but doesn't know how to teach skills. And doesn't really know the sport. so you can play on that team and get your kid in front of instructors and knowledge training to help support them. But it takes parents paying attention to whether or not their kids are growing and it is unfortunate but true there are parents who do not have a clue. I think blind trust is the worst thing. keep saying this and will continue to say it look for results. And then goals like Moxie you said the environment you want your kid to be in starts with the coaches and what their goals are. You defined those things.
Think " interviewing so to speak" "tryout the coach" in conversation before joining any teams. See how they run a practice and get an opportunity to play at least in a friendly with a team before joining a travel team befor handing over money.

These discussion forums are a great place for people to share their experiences. What they have learned. What has helped. What to watch out for to help others make smart decisions and ourselves to learn.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Think " interviewing so to speak" "tryout the coach" in conversation before joining any teams. See how they run a practice and get an opportunity to play at least in a friendly with a team before joining a travel team befor handing over money.
This is a very important point.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I agree its the parents job but not all parents are capable. If you are then awesome! More than anything its a culture that I want my kiddo to be around. The culture of having that burning desire to be the best and not liking it when she loses. I know that I can be an influence in that but I want her to be on a team that stresses the same type of attitude. I can't stand seeing a team that laughs and doesn't really care if they lose. I'm not sure what organization you are referring to but good luck to you guys!
DDs first travel coach would tell the girls all the time “You have to hate to lose more than you love to win to be successful.” He would talk to them after tournaments about the pain he felt when they lost, he would tear up at times just discussing a loss. Almost every practice was a competition of some sort. Teaching DD to compete and to hate to lose at an early age has been a big part of her success, IMO.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
This is an interesting post and I have the same thoughts about playing multiple positions, especially in the older age groups. My DD played pitcher and SS for 3 years in 10U. First year 12U she played pitcher, SS, and CF. For second year 12U she joined an A team for the first time. She was no longer one of the best players on the team. This is where we learned what true talent looks like. DD was no longer qualified to play SS position and pitched very little. She has been LF almost exclusively since joining this team. OF on an A team is way more difficult than pitching and SS all those years on a lower level team ever was!! I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF. No, they can't! The slow outfielder that misses a ball gives up more bases than a speedy outfielder.

My DD,our CF, and 3B are the only teammates that play their position exclusively. Everyone else on the team plays more than one position. The problem with my DD focusing only on OF is she now struggles with the infield throwing drills. She often over throws the ball. She can no longer throw a ball accurately at a close distance. I'm hoping she plays IF for school ball, so she can work on improving those skills.

DD gave up pitching lessons recently to focus on slap hitting, which she started doing a year ago. Slap hitting has been a game changer for DD's confidence. She finally feels like she is contributing to the value of the team. Not sure how long slap hitting with be popular, but for now she is loving it. She wants to play college ball, so I'm a bit worried about her not playing multiple positions any more. She is first year 14U currently, so she has time to figure it out. Time will tell! Good luck to all of your DDs and continue to keep the love of softball alive!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is an interesting post and I have the same thoughts about playing multiple positions, especially in the older age groups. My DD played pitcher and SS for 3 years in 10U. First year 12U she played pitcher, SS, and CF. For second year 12U she joined an A team for the first time. She was no longer one of the best players on the team. This is where we learned what true talent looks like. DD was no longer qualified to play SS position and pitched very little. She has been LF almost exclusively since joining this team. OF on an A team is way more difficult than pitching and SS all those years on a lower level team ever was!! I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF. No, they can't! The slow outfielder that misses a ball gives up more bases than a speedy outfielder.

My DD,our CF, and 3B are the only teammates that play their position exclusively. Everyone else on the team plays The problem with my DD focusing only on OF is she now struggles with the infield throwing drills. She often over throws the ball. She can no longer throw a ball accurately at a close distance. I'm hoping she plays IF for school ball, so she can work on improving those skills.

DD gave up pitching lessons recently to focus on slap hitting, which she started doing a year ago. Slap hitting has been a game changer for DD's confidence. She finally feels like she is contributing to the value of the team. Not sure how long slap hitting with be popular, but for now she is loving it. She wants to play college ball, so I'm a bit worried about her not playing multiple positions any more. She is first year 14U currently, so she has time to figure it out. Time will tell! Good luck to all of your DDs and continue to keep the love of softball alive!

Excellent details shared here!

This makes a point that needs to be validated...

Defensive positions have different technical skill sets!

While it's true "Talent" varies from individual to individual. Recognizing what an "individual talents are" and pursuing them takes having a goal and a plan to achieve it!

I will say this,
At a certain competitve level.
Utility players generally do not earn a starting position against players who have focused goals on specific playing positions! Corners are Corners
middle infielders are middle infielders
outfielders are outfielders.
( that doesnt mean there isnt a place on the roster for utility players)

Early on in this discussion somebody commented about pitchers and catchers being exclusive to those positions.
While that might be.
Think pitchers and catchers should get grounders and fly balls also. Pitchers get infield workouts if anything to help protect them selves.
Catchers because even though they may primarily be used for catching if they are talented enough to be catchers they will generally be talented to play corners or outfield as well. Add this, let's remember anybody has the potential to be the big bat on the team! That can be the pitcher or the catcher as well.If you're giving the catcher a break behind the plate to save them for the next crucial game, you may still want their bat in the game.
Same with the pitcher.

Lisa Fernandez most commonly known for her pitching.
Has an enormous bat,
& was additionally an
awesome 3rd base!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is an interesting post and I have the same thoughts about playing multiple positions, especially in the older age groups. My DD played pitcher and SS for 3 years in 10U. First year 12U she played pitcher, SS, and CF. For second year 12U she joined an A team for the first time. She was no longer one of the best players on the team. This is where we learned what true talent looks like. DD was no longer qualified to play SS position and pitched very little. She has been LF almost exclusively since joining this team. OF on an A team is way more difficult than pitching and SS all those years on a lower level team ever was!! I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF. No, they can't! The slow outfielder that misses a ball gives up more bases than a speedy outfielder. My DD,our CF, and 3B are the only teammates that play their position exclusively. Everyone else on the team plays more than one position.

The problem with my DD focusing only on OF is she now struggles with the infield throwing drills. She often over throws the ball. She can no longer throw a ball accurately at a close distance. I'm hoping she plays IF for school ball, so she can work on improving those skills.

I hope your DD is very quick. I always scratch my head when I see a average speed slapper. Some girls may get quicker when they age and train for speed. A slapper needs to be somewhere around 3 seconds down the line at 14 y/o. If not don't give up on regular hitting.

" I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF. No, they can't!

All girls should learn how to catch a fly balls. Parents and coaches are doing a great disservice to players if they are not teaching OF to all their players. Pitchers too. If your DD loves the game and she is a pitcher dont limit her chances at playing HS or college by pigeon holing them into pitcher only. Hit them fly balls every week.

Jun 8, 2016
I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF.
Is that what they actually say or are you generalizing and if not who are these "people" you are referring
to since they obviously have never watched a baseball/softball game above 8U since if they had they would
know that if you cannot catch a fly ball (among other things but we will just simplify it for now...) you cannot play OF.. ;)

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
I hope your DD is very quick. I always scratch my head when I see a average speed slapper. Some girls may get quicker when they age and train for speed. A slapper needs to be somewhere around 3 seconds down the line at 14 y/o. If not don't give up on regular hitting.

" I get extremely irritated when people say anyone can play the OF. No, they can't!

All girls should learn how to catch a fly balls. Parents and coaches are doing a great disservice to players if they are not teaching OF to all their players. Pitchers too. If your DD loves the game and she is a pitcher dont limit her chances at playing HS or college by pigeon holing them into pitcher only. Hit them fly balls every week.
DD has always been the fastest player on any of her teams. She isn't quite elite speed, but fast enough to be a successful slapper. Depending on who does the testing, she varies from 2.9 to 3.01 by professionals. None of them have been done by parent. This is without any agility training. I think if she started doing training on the side, she could be faster.

I totally agree that all players need to practice and play OF. Almost all of our players have OF time, but some spend one outing there and never return LOL! One of our pitchers and one of our catchers are true utility players. They can play any IF position successfully.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Is that what they actually say or are you generalizing and if not who are these "people" you are referring
to since they obviously have never watched a baseball/softball game above 8U since if they had they would
know that if you cannot catch a fly ball (among other things but we will just simplify it for now...) you cannot play OF.. ;)
It is a generalized statement that I see quite often making it look like OF is so easy anyone can do it. This forum has enough softball knowledge to know the difference for the most part, but some other groups I follow don't have a clue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812