Defense, can anybody play anywhere?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
sure, if they are good at everything on the Diamond. From a pure “kids should all play” perspective, you can do this. But if you care at all about winning, and don’t have excellent 1-12, I don’t see why you would even explore this.
Because contrary to popular belief, Rec ball is about teaching proper fundamentals and letting the girls fall in love with the game. If you win some along the way, even better.

The rec ball coaches that only care about winning are usually the same ones that think their team is good enough to move to TB because they ruled the rec program due to having an ace pitcher. Those same coaches find out their ace isn't anything more than mediocre at the TB level and the rest of the team is sub-par due to lack of proper instruction on fundamentals. In other words, more often than not, they get decimated all year long and the team implodes at the end of the season if not sooner.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I would agree with this statement. However, I would expand it to say most sports are dying a slow death for a multitude of reasons such as kids sitting in front of the TV with their game console 19 hours a day, their noses glued to their cellphones on social media and the overprotective parental fear of injury just to name a few.
How about early sport specialization is killing sports. When kids played 2 sports but now only play 1. Participation numbers are cut in half. When kids and families are tired of coaches and orgs trying to run their lives 12 months out of the year you lose participants.

Sports likes to blame outside influences but maybe it’s time to look inward.

May 7, 2008
Can anybody play anywhere?
Big question, perhaps with many answers.

At younger ages many coaches say "everyone should learn to play all positions"
Hmmmm? Is that accurate?

What physical/mental requirements does it take to play the different defensive positions?

When does physical limitations draw the line, or can all athletic requirements be taught and developed to fit any defensive position?

Being there are different levels of softball in all age groups and college.
How do these questions affect
an athletes goals?
Or do they? Should they?

"everyone should learn to play all positions" accurate?

Goals may play a factor ;)

Go Defense!
Go Feedback!

couple of things from 20+ years coaching.
1. a player at 10 can be way different than one at 18, and you cannot always tell who will grow, get fast, get slow, get attitude
2. On one of my tournament teams every player was a SS, Pitcher, CF, catcher on their HS team. Somebody has to play the other 5 positions!
3. The higher/older you go the more specialized kids get; guess that at age 10-12 is pretty hard to do.
4. On many teams my "best xxx position" did not always play that position. its a matter of finding the right combo that maximizes the team, especially in travel with only 11-12 players on a team
5 at collegiate level there are typically 18-24 kids n the team. Coaches livelihood depends on winning. They will find the best at each position and figure out the combo that gives good defense and good hitting. Preparation to be able to adapt to any job you are given will maximize your playing time.
6. Are we here to win today or are we here to help young athletes learn, develop, appreciate what it takes to be a part of a team and do the job you are given??
7. I tell any player at tryouts the following: "if you are only willing to join this team to play xxx, and are not willing to learn what it takes to do the job that makes the team the best we can be, please go join another team". I got sick of divas and their obsessed parents a long time ago.

There are of course typical profiles of high level players
OF: rocket fast, huge arm, big bat or sneaky slapper
MI: incredibly agile, big accurate arm, vacuum cleaner glove, contact hitter at least
3rd: big arm, huge bat
1st: long length, huge bat
Catcher: beast endurance, smart, cannon arm, huge bat
Pitcher: fast, accurate, good pitch mixture, unflappable

May 30, 2016
My player can play most positions but her first position is 2nd. The way the other girls are she is interchangeable which is good. She has to play back some at 3rd because she isn’t that fearless but is still good at moving to get shortballs and left and right. Last year her HS need her to fill in at 1st as a freshman and that got her on the field. Other than that she played outfield for the HS. It is possible to play but it takes the extra work to learn the spots. Her travel coach loves that he can put her in at any spot. The only spot she doesn’t play is Catcher and we tried but doesn’t have that ability. So if they want to play in the upper levels I feel it’s good to be flexible.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
How about early sport specialization is killing sports. When kids played 2 sports but now only play 1. Participation numbers are cut in half. When kids and families are tired of coaches and orgs trying to run their lives 12 months out of the year you lose participants.

Sports likes to blame outside influences but maybe it’s time to look inward.
There's absolutely some truth to this as well.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
With DD as a lefty, I've heard the "conventional wisdom" from various coaches over the years. Lefties should play outfield, 1st base, or pitch. Nothing else. DD is a lefty catcher and has been very successful with it, but has run into quite a few coaches who don't believe she should be playing that position. She's not going to pitch and she is (in my opinion) not fast enough to be an A-level outfielder. That leaves 1B (which is her secondary position), but C is her love.

I don't see why coaches have issues with a left-handed catcher? Think about it, it's easier to pick at 1B and easier to field a bunt and throw to 1B as a lefty. That thinking goes way back to baseball and most batters being right-handed. I wouldn't mind a LH catcher.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
There's absolutely some truth to this as well.

If you ask college coaches they will tell you they want multi-sport players. It gets them away from the game for a bit and cuts down on overuse injuries and burnout. Softball, or any sport, should not become a job. They should enjoy playing it and working to improve.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
Can anybody play anywhere?
Big question, perhaps with many answers.

At younger ages many coaches say "everyone should learn to play all positions"
Hmmmm? Is that accurate?

What physical/mental requirements does it take to play the different defensive positions?

When does physical limitations draw the line, or can all athletic requirements be taught and developed to fit any defensive position?

Being there are different levels of softball in all age groups and college.
How do these questions affect
an athletes goals?
Or do they? Should they?

"everyone should learn to play all positions" accurate?

Goals may play a factor ;)

Go Defense!
Go Feedback!
Almost at every age players should have a couple of positions. More talented athletic players may be able to play anywhere. Less talented may need more work but should have more than one. Not everyone can or should play SS, pitch, catch or play 1st. Pick a few positions for them based on the team and their talent. Outfield work is a must for any player at a young age infield can be broken up by middle and corners. If you can play 3rd you can play 1st. If you can play short you can play 2nd. Improve arm strength of 2nd baseman so they can play SS. Make sure catchers get work elsewhere and on catching. Don’t play someone who is not capable at critical positions like pitcher, catcher, SS and 1st but also don’t set your standards so high only one girl can play those positions. I wouldn’t concentrate on “teaching positions” at a younger age I would concentrate on learning skills. IMO not enough of skill work being done. Who cares where they take ground balls from. Ground balls, ground balls and more ground balls. Straight, right, left, slow rollers, short hips etc... Fly balls and more fly balls, left shoulder, right shoulder, coming in, going out etc... Throwing and lots of it. A 2 hour practice filled with ground balls, fly balls and hitting and very little talking from the coaches. I very rarely see this at 9u to 12u. There are things to learn especially on defense but skills should be 90% of a practice. The girls who excel at 13u to 18u have all done a ton of skill work along with position specific work. Good luck in your daughters journey and enjoy it along the way.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If you ask college coaches they will tell you they want multi-sport players. It gets them away from the game for a bit and cuts down on overuse injuries and burnout. Softball, or any sport, should not become a job. They should enjoy playing it and working to improve.
I agree with this 100% but let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Many college coaches will say this, but who are they recruiting; the single sport player that has spent 100s of more hours practicing their skill set or the (many times) inferior multi-sport athlete because they were busy practicing and playing another sport instead of working on the sport they're trying to get recruited to play?

Before anyone starts to take me to task over this question, remember please that I'm playing devil's advocate. I also said many and not most or all athletes. I know more than my share of multi-sport athletes that can compete against top single sport SB players. Also, I know that all things being equal, the coach will pick the MSA over the SSA.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
I would agree with this statement. However, I would expand it to say most sports are dying a slow death for a multitude of reasons such as kids sitting in front of the TV with their game console 19 hours a day, their noses glued to their cellphones on social media and the overprotective parental fear of injury just to name a few.

I feel softball is becoming a sport for those with money. I know I couldn't afford to have my DD play travel ball nowadays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2