Defense, can anybody play anywhere?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can anybody play anywhere?
Big question, perhaps with many answers.

At younger ages many coaches say "everyone should learn to play all positions"
Hmmmm? Is that accurate?

What physical/mental requirements does it take to play the different defensive positions?

When does physical limitations draw the line, or can all athletic requirements be taught and developed to fit any defensive position?

Being there are different levels of softball in all age groups and college.
How do these questions affect
an athletes goals?
Or do they? Should they?

"everyone should learn to play all positions" accurate?

Goals may play a factor ;)

Go Defense!
Go Feedback!

Nov 11, 2019
HC and I talk about this all the time. He likes for the girls to be able to play anywhere. I don’t. I feel that they should play 2, maybe 3 positions. I feel that at the TB level they probably can play most positions but probably not effective. All positions have certain details that require reps, lots of reps to perfect at high competition. With that being said, some athletes have accomplished this and can be effective. JMO. Would love to hear what others say

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As your DD's get older they will be asked to play in positions that is not their #1 position. Let me give you a run down on position by my DD's Age progression.

In the beginning, she played 1st base because she could catch a ball, then she started playing SS because she could throw the ball, then she transitioned to Catcher because my 4 other catchers were not getting the job done and served the team better by being able to handle the ball more than she would at SS. In HS ball she split time between Catcher and SS. She pretty settled into the catcher position for most of her career. She would get some innings at 1B when she wasn't catching her Junior year in TB and last year she played a little 3B from time to time. But most of her time was playing catcher. Now in College the coach needs her to play 3rd base, which she spent the least amount of time playing out of all the positions she grew up playing.

So Yes. Our DD's need to be able to play all positions...if they want to be an asset to her team. BTW, She cannot pitch or play OF! In practices, I like to see the girls hop in to get reps at different positions. Sometimes you are an injury/sickness/hissy quit away from needed a player to play somewhere they are not comfortable playing.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
This is a good conversation piece.

My 14U DD plays MI and 3B 90% of the time and occasionally, this past fall, has also played LF and RF. She is the only one that plays this many positions.
other 3B only plays 3b
other 2B plays RF as well
SS only plays SS
pitchers also play 1B

As an AC, I think it would be for the others to move around as well to help better understand the game. But as a dad, I’m glad she is the one getting to see all of these positions. I’m curios though if there could be a detriment to moving around so much. She used to catch up until 2019 and has played 1B in 2019 and pitched a little previously In 10 and 12u. I love that she has been everywhere.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a discussion point.
Do athletic abilities limit
defensive positions?

Is it accurate to say
example
Anybody can play outfield?
Or at what point is slow running speed a detriment...
Since we know not everybody is as fast as eachother?!
We can learn to be faster,
Yet not everybody is lightning fast.

That said, the individual goal could determine where player wants to play. However at a certain point that could limit the level they can play that position at.

What then is the accurate response to a goal at a higher level?
Brings the question...
If the slowest running player spends first say two years in right field,
Could they have done more for their future potential say playing 3rd where brief quickness and reaction to ball may have better suited their growth?!

Go Defense!
Go Feedback!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
My DD has a great bat, but her defensive skills are lacking. she has a good glove,but she is slow and weak arm. The coach therefore has her play corner OF, (usually right) and some 2B. She'll catch a ball in the OF if she can get to it, but I've seen balls drop that faster girls would of easily had. Bottom line, if she wasn't a great hitter, she wouldn't be playing (16u). So yes, athletic ability does limit defensive positions.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
As a discussion point.
Do athletic abilities limit
defensive positions?

Athleticism, or lack of it, absolutely limit defensive positions. You're not going to put a girl that can't move quickly at CF or SS. Or even behind the plate. So basically she's stuck at 1st, or if she has some hands and an arm, 3rd.

Some fast, quick OF that can grab anything in the air can't handle the heat at 3rd or SS.

I'm in favor of players creating value for themselves, and the ability to play multiple positions is valuable for a coach. But, as with any other skill, not all players can do everything well, or enough to warrant playing more than one or two spots.

Nov 11, 2019
My DD pitches and plays RF and 2nd. For some reason she says she sees the ball better from that side of the field. Hitting is a chore right now but she’s working hard on that

Jun 8, 2016
Athleticism, or lack of it, absolutely limit defensive positions. You're not going to put a girl that can't move quickly at CF or SS. Or even behind the plate. So basically she's stuck at 1st, or if she has some hands and an arm, 3rd.

Some fast, quick OF that can grab anything in the air can't handle the heat at 3rd or SS.

I'm in favor of players creating value for themselves, and the ability to play multiple positions is valuable for a coach. But, as with any other skill, not all players can do everything well, or enough to warrant playing more than one or two spots.
When I was talking about this in the other thread I was referring to playing a position well at the college level. While there are some clues at the younger ages (kids who are ultra athletic as young kids, e.g. can run, move laterally exceptionally well,etc don't lose this as they age unless they put on a lot of bad weight) until everybody hits puberty it is difficult to predict where their athletic ceiling lies. Through 12U every kid should learn how to field a GB correctly, track fly balls correctly, etc. As they age, how well they learn these skills along with their athletic skillset will slot them in their positions. Catchers and pitchers have it a bit more difficult since along with the abovementioned skills, they have other position specific skills they need to work on.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
First, I think we can all agree that pitcher/catcher should be exempt from this discussion. They're unique, highly specialized positions, and it's unreasonable to expect anybody to just jump in and do the job.

Can anybody play anywhere?

Not well, no. Not even with lots of practice.

At younger ages many coaches say "everyone should learn to play all positions"
Hmmmm? Is that accurate?

Yes, every player should have a basic knowledge of what needs to be done at each position. That, I think, is the real benefit of having players play all over the field at younger ages. There shouldn't be a single player at 14U who's played for years who has no idea what the second baseman's job is because she's always played shortstop.

It's also important to try all the positions because you never know which one she'll take to, which one she'll grow into, etc. As a coach, I have had girls surprise me by developing into an excellent player at a position I never expected. If I had pigeonholed my current CF into her original position (3B, where she wasn't that good), we'd be much, much worse as she's developed into a fantastic outfielder.

What physical/mental requirements does it take to play the different defensive positions?

You could write an entire book on this one.

When does physical limitations draw the line, or can all athletic requirements be taught and developed to fit any defensive position?

You can be a very good softball player and not a great athlete, so at some point, players will move up or down the defensive spectrum. But since this was about learning positions: Sure, still learn them. You never know. You never know when a starter will get hurt and the only backup available plays your position, but since you have a basic idea of how to play the injured player's spot, you can slide over and the team can get through a game or two.

I love versatile players. Not all players can do it for various reasons, but I tell all my players that they need to be able to do more than one thing because what if someone else is better than you at the one thing you can do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom