Pitcher Reps and Defense Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
So, first practice is in the books and I think it went fairly well. I'm working on practice plans for the upcoming practices, but I'm struggling to find ways to safely get the pitchers more reps with live batters. We only have one field and there isn't a batting cage with it. This is 12U, so pitching will be key and we have a few players who have never hit fastpitch before so they need the reps with a pitcher. How have the rest of you found a way to rotate this time into typical practices without the rest of the team standing around?

Having your pitchers pitch to your batters is a complete waste of everyone's time. As you have alluded too you will have a lot of standing around and your practice time is too precious for that.

At any point in your practice if you see someone standing around you as a coach are doing it wrong. Get them moving coach...get those parents that are standing around to help if you need it.

If you are 12u rec and you are limited with practice time I would advise not even hitting in practice. I wouldn't pitch either. It's wasting time and all parties involved can practice those things on their own.

You need to practice base running repeatedly and then work on team related concepts that involves everyone. We are talking about bunting/defending the bunt/relays from the outfield/defending the steal, etc.

If you absolutely positively have to hit then consider coach pitching (from a shorter distance to equate the reaction time from your 12u pitchers). You should pitch to two batters at the same time (put a screen between them and in front of you if you are concerned about your safety). Alternate pitches to each hitter (so you have two pitchers and two batters alternating swings). The rest of the players "field" only (again safety here) and funnel the balls to second base here you have empty buckets ready. Pitch each batter 5-10 balls and rotate.

Rotate everyone everywhere but 1B and SS (you absolutely need someone that can catch at those two positions).

Keep everyone moving coach.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00