DD how to fix bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
Not for nothing, but don't let her wear flip-flops when hitting 🤦‍♂️

I wondered when someone would notice that..... I fussed at her for not bringing shoes along. Definitely not her normal cage attire so couldn't do front toss for fear of fouling one into a foot. :-(

May 20, 2019
Do you have a smaller/lighter bat available for her? I get a strong sense that this one is a bit too much for her, and is adding to her dragging issues.

Also, her hands starting so far up and away from her rear shoulder is adding to the length of...well, everything. Take a look at video of swings by top level players (baseball and softball). Where are their hands when they launch the swing? Some move their hands to launch point, but for a young player just starting to figure things out, shortening pre-launch hand travel tends to be helpful. Very typically, players want to pull the hands way back in order to give the bat lots of time to build up speed to hit the ball harder. The problem with this is it forces the hitter to commit to their swing earlier, and if their timing isn't perfect, they miss a lot.

If I was working with this young hitter, and helping her establish a foundation, I would have her start with the barrel resting on her shoulder, her hands near her rear shoulder, and learn how to turn the barrel to the ball with her hands/forearms and body.

As I said before, I'm not sure you want to do a complete overhaul at this point. That said, adjusting the setup position of her hands might be helpful in improving her quickness.

Last night we brought out her shorter/lighter bat. Noticed she had better bat speed but a decrease in accuracy and was hitting mostly fly balls for some reason. Still working on keeping hips closed longer and its definitely helping. Amazing how fast the little ones catch on to changes!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Agree with what has been said...especially no big changes till she is done with the season.

After the season... consider having her model RollingHard's DD. A very good place to be at an early age.
Rollinghard-dd-front-toss-single1_zpswacayzxo.gif

Jun 8, 2016
I'm trying to understand why an 8U season is more important than fixing a swing.
It is understandable, watching your kid struggle because of something you are doing is never fun :LOL: That said I get your point and tend to agree.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm trying to understand why an 8U season is more important than fixing a swing.

I'm speaking from my own experience...I tired to "fix" my DD's swing at this age (8), at the same time (all-stars). The timing was a mistake. It's an issue she still brings up with me 6 years later - LOL. IMO, let them get though this important (to them) time, and save the overhaul for a few weeks down the road when the pressure is off.

Years later, 8U seems very insignificant to us - just a step on the path. To them, right now, this a big moment in their softball journey. My DD and her 14U TB teammate still poke each other about the time they faced each other in the 8U District Championships. It was a time for both of them that helped shape their future direction in the game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma