DD how to fix bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The only problem with that is her arms is twice the length of her shoulder width. So the hands will be farther away from the body.
Yeah if you have them straight out like she does...handset is a style thing I get it. But from the position she is it takes a fair amount of movement to get them to a good position to launch from. This is her (approximate) launch position right now:
Screenshot from 2019-05-22 14-30-20.png

The more movement you have in a young kids swing the more things that can go awry..believe me I know 😂

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When you guys are talking 'handset', are you referring to stance, or toe touch?

The hands can be absolutely anywhere in the stance. It makes no difference whatsoever.

Generally speaking, I agree with that. What matters most is getting to a good hand position for launch, and what happens before doesn't really affect things. We see high-level hitters with a wide range of handsets and pre-launch movements.

However, with hitters this young, early handset position can have an impact on what happens when things start moving. A lot of pre-launch hand movement is generally not good for them. With this hitter, her high handset requires downward movement, which is leading her into a DBSF type swing pattern. Starting with a handset closer to a good launch position will (IMO) help make learning about turning the barrel and a diagonal swing plane a little easier.

Jun 8, 2016
So....It seems there are two different styles of recommendations going on here and I don't want to get confused. My DD has no danger in ever being a power hitter as her parents and siblings are all very small people. I will be surprised if she makes it to 100 lbs by highschool. I want to work on making her the best contact hitter possible with her able to place the ball in the gaps rather than over the outfielders heads. I appreciate all the great analysis and some really good points are being made.
In most people's opinion, anything before you start to move out are style related, handset/stance/negative move (shush @Work=wins ). You can get to a good position to move out and launch from with most any style you want. That said there are certain styles which may be a bit easier to work with than others.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So....It seems there are two different styles of recommendations going on here and I don't want to get confused. My DD has no danger in ever being a power hitter as her parents and siblings are all very small people. I will be surprised if she makes it to 100 lbs by highschool. I want to work on making her the best contact hitter possible with her able to place the ball in the gaps rather than over the outfielders heads. I appreciate all the great analysis and some really good points are being made.

Expect to get confused. Part of YOUR journey is being able to separate out the things that make sense and those that don't. Along the way, your understanding of things will evolve, and what you thought was "wrong" before was just something that you didn't fully understand yet.

Your DD may never become a big kid who regularly hits dingers, but the goal should ALWAYS be to improve mechanics for more power, more quickness, and increased adjustability. Why would you not work on hitting the ball harder? A hard ground ball is more likely to be a base hit than a soft ground ball.

May 20, 2019
Generally speaking, I agree with that. What matters most is getting to a good hand position for launch, and what happens before doesn't really affect things. We see high-level hitters with a wide range of handsets and pre-launch movements.

However, with hitters this young, early handset position can have an impact on what happens when things start moving. A lot of pre-launch hand movement is generally not good for them. With this hitter, her high handset requires downward movement, which is leading her into a DBSF type swing pattern. Starting with a handset closer to a good launch position will (IMO) help make learning about turning the barrel and a diagonal swing plane a little easier.
Expect to get confused. Part of YOUR journey is being able to separate out the things that make sense and those that don't. Along the way, your understanding of things will evolve, and what you thought was "wrong" before was just something that you didn't fully understand yet.

Your DD may never become a big kid who regularly hits dingers, but the goal should ALWAYS be to improve mechanics for more power, more quickness, and increased adjustability. Why would you not work on hitting the ball harder? A hard ground ball is more likely to be a base hit than a soft ground ball.

Agreed. I am here to learn how to identify and appropriately correct mechanics issues so the 13 little girls I coach can get better instruction. As always the coaches kid gets to be the Guinea pig.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
rslaubaugh - I like this as an example of a young hitter for your DD to attempt to emulate...

Pay attention to pre-launch hand position and movement. Also, the barrel pivots around the hands rather than the arms swinging around the body (this is going to be a challenging change for your DD, I predict).

EDIT: Another good one - Turn the barrel off the shoulder...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agreed. I am here to learn how to identify and appropriately correct mechanics issues so the 13 little girls I coach can get better instruction. As always the coaches kid gets to be the Guinea pig.

Yep. I would do a better job instructing my 8yo DD now than I did when she was 8yo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In most people's opinion, anything before you start to move out are style related, handset/stance/negative move (shush @Work=wins ). You can get to a good position to move out and launch from with most any style you want. That said there are certain styles which may be a bit easier to work with than others.

J Stone

He doesn’t say ‘how’ but he says it’s ‘SO’.
Probably gotta pay for the other half.

Just found this guy today.. can’t say I don’t agree with most of it. Pretty good. And for the cosmetologists on the board his path is more ‘gif’ like. 😏

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just found this guy today.. can’t say I don’t agree with most of it. Pretty good. And for the cosmetologists on the board his path is more ‘gif’ like. 😏

I see some benefit for some very fundamental ideas with young players, but he doesn't talk about how the hands are getting pulled back, which could be problematic. I can easily see this getting translated to the hands getting pushed up and back with the arms to make the rubber band stretch, instead of the hands moving as a response to retraction of the scap.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see some benefit for some very fundamental ideas with young players, but he doesn't talk about how the hands are getting pulled back, which could be problematic. I can easily see this getting translated to the hands getting pushed up and back with the arms to make the rubber band stretch, instead of the hands moving as a response to retraction of the scap.

Agreed. In the beginning of the vid he says the ‘trigger’ of the hands going back while my front foot is COMING FORWARD...scap retract. That’s what it feels like to me as well. A ‘pull or empowering’ of the hands.

He states in the beginning of the vid.. ‘ I’ve had a lot of questions about separation’.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478