DD how to fix bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
I am a parent/coach of an 8u rec ball team and my daughter has a natural talent. Took this video while trying to identify areas of improvement in her mechanics. Noticed some bat drag although she is hitting very high average and mostly infield line drives with pretty good velocity. Bat speed is good but her diminutive size is limiting power somewhat. Hoping to fix any mechanics issues while still young so as she grows she will be a better hitter. Any pointers would be most appreciated as I am not an experienced coach. We are starting All Stars practice next week and want to try to fix the bat drag issue prior to late June tournament.

Jun 8, 2016
I am a parent/coach of an 8u rec ball team and my daughter has a natural talent. Took this video while trying to identify areas of improvement in her mechanics. Noticed some bat drag although she is hitting very high average and mostly infield line drives with pretty good velocity. Bat speed is good but her diminutive size is limiting power somewhat. Hoping to fix any mechanics issues while still young so as she grows she will be a better hitter. Any pointers would be most appreciated as I am not an experienced coach. We are starting All Stars practice next week and want to try to fix the bat drag issue prior to late June tournament.

Cannot see video. Probably need to make it public.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Roughly at toe touch.

Notice her hips are very open (uncoiled, and beyond). This is not good. Also notice her hands are probably behind her back elbow (bat drag).

Most kids (including yours) usually get bat drag because they start their swing in midair, before the front foot lands. Why does this happen? Because you should start the swing at the moment that you when you uncoil (open) your hips. So, most kids open their hips too soon, then drop the elbow, then they are stuck. They can't use their body to get the bat head to move.

So the main initial problem with most bat drag is she must coil inward 45 degrees AS she is striding forward. Now she is coiling OUT.

How do I do this?
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it. (It's not necessary to practice the uncoil, it happens anyway in the instant before toe touch)

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

I would learn to do this yourself (Dad) so you can teach it. You may not be able to teach this to this age group, but at least plant the idea. Some may get it.

The other thing that must happen is the rear forearm must be mostly flat/level/horizontal at toe touch. 99% of kids have their forearm vertical, which generally leads to bat drag. It makes no difference where the forearm is in the stance. It's not necessary to start flat, but some may be able to learn it this way.

If you watch your hitters, you will probably see that all of them have a vertical forearm. Getting this to flat will make a huge difference. Most of this age group should be able to learn this just by showing them what it should look like.. If you can do it, your kids should be ahead of the other teams.

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
I see exactly what you are talking about with the hips. I'm not sure i understand the last part about the forearm entirely. Should she be bringing her elbow up and hands down in the negative/load move? I will be coaching the allstar team for babe ruth 8u this year and I have a bunch of kids with really bad bat drag so want to try to fix some of this as best as i can.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Batters at toe touch. Notice level rear forearm, and the bat grip pointing downward toward the catcher.

You can start with hands up, level, or way down. It makes no difference. So you don't need to fix/change every kids stance.

Note: Mantle and Mays have their hands behind the elbow for a fraction, but correct it by 'hip slot'.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
Got it. I have been teaching the girls a 45 deg rear elbow to help with a proper knock-knuckle grip on the bat. I will see what i can do to get that back elbow coming up in the negative move.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
MLB hitters (except sometimes Pujols) do not use door knocking knuckles (even though many of them think they do). They use a comfortable box grip (see pic).

hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg

It's uncomfortable to raise the elbow with door knockers. You must crimp/bend your back wrist to make this happen, which puts slop in the swing. Plus that grip is designed for a swing where you throw your hands at the ball.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
Gonna do some cage work with DD tonight. Will work on some lower body mechanics. Honestly she normally doesnt open up that back foot during games but thinking about it she always opens her hips in the stride.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13