Softball Newbie Bat Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2019
Hey all,
Long story short, my daughter played her first ever softball season in a rec league in the spring. She is a good athlete and had a good season, as her first. She was playing with a very cheap bat and I am hoping to upgrade some for the fall season. Still don't want to sink a ton of $ in as she still isn't sure softball is her thing but would like to get her a little more pop.
I have read as much info that I can find and spoken to a local shop owner as well but I would like some more opinions. Essentially what I am seeing/hearing is that unless I want to make the leap to $200-300+ composite bats, which I don't, that I should potentially just look at upgrading to a better alloy bat. I've checked out the Marucci Echo Alloy bats and was told they are nice alloy and I have also seen a used DeMarini Bustos that looks new and is somewhat local to me. Any thoughts on this to help out an overwhelmed newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I'd look into a used Demarini CF (-11) based on your DD's age/size. In the 30 inch and under realm, the CF line checks all the boxes for me: larger barrel/sweet spot than most others, great pop, balanced swing, very forgiving and quite durable. You can just about always find a good quality used one for $100-$150 that will most likely last until your DD outgrows it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Omg, those old Miken Halos and Rains were awesome!!!!

Really disappointed when Miken gave up fp to Worth and the lineup wasnt brought over to Worth.
Man, the price point was nice for those little bats too.
Yep, Anna's little one-piece Icon made a believer out of me! Funny, all the parents would watch her hit with it and then ask if their DD could try it, it quickly turned into the entire team community bat!

I got that bat used, then Anna (and her entire team used it), and I've since given that bat to two different girls, two different times, two+ years apart! ALL the paint is wore off of it and it's still hot as a match! Bottom line is I've always been a Miken fan, I still vividly remember the first time I used a Miken composite in slow-pitch....and being blown away!

The guy who sponsored our open team ripped the plastic off of a new 34/27 Freak and handed it to me at the on deck circle to lead off the game, first pitch was outside on the black and I hit a screaming rope and drilled the 1B square in the chest, he dropped like a rag, scared the crap out of everyone! This was coming from the aluminum black & gold 34/34 Easton that everyone was hitting, massive difference!

I scored and came into the dugout and all my sponsor said (or cared about) was how'd I like that bat? I look over at that 1B being tended to in his dugout and said "did you just see that??", all he said was "he'll be okay, what about the bat?" Turned out that particular Freak was banned within weeks! Smoking hot with zero swings on it!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I still use Miken/Worth pretty much exclusively for slowpitch. Once in a while I might break out
an Anarchy or Easton...but not often.

The Rain/Halo/Icon took a little to get going...but they were tanks and tons of pop for a little bat.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Sort of off topic, but how long does a Lizard Skin typically last for you guys/gals? I have to put a new one on every 2 or 3 months for DD's BP bat. Is that typical? It obviously depends on usage but I was just wondering if DD is taking sandpaper to it behind my back so she can get a new one and drain me of more money..
She is gripping the bat too tight. LOL

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Hey all,
Long story short, my daughter played her first ever softball season in a rec league in the spring. She is a good athlete and had a good season, as her first. She was playing with a very cheap bat and I am hoping to upgrade some for the fall season. Still don't want to sink a ton of $ in as she still isn't sure softball is her thing but would like to get her a little more pop.
I have read as much info that I can find and spoken to a local shop owner as well but I would like some more opinions. Essentially what I am seeing/hearing is that unless I want to make the leap to $200-300+ composite bats, which I don't, that I should potentially just look at upgrading to a better alloy bat. I've checked out the Marucci Echo Alloy bats and was told they are nice alloy and I have also seen a used DeMarini Bustos that looks new and is somewhat local to me. Any thoughts on this to help out an overwhelmed newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I would look into a used composite bat. With so many parents buying a brand new bat every single year (or bc they think something else will help little Suzie hit 5ft further), there are plenty of high quality bats at prices much lower than new. If you are going to go with one of those bats listed, Id go with the bustos.

Dec 19, 2021
Sort of off topic, but how long does a Lizard Skin typically last for you guys/gals? I have to put a new one on every 2 or 3 months for DD's BP bat. Is that typical? It obviously depends on usage but I was just wondering if DD is taking sandpaper to it behind my back so she can get a new one and drain me of more money..
Have you tried Vukgripz? I think they last longer than Lizards and they definitely stay grippy longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478