DD how to fix bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
We have 10 team practices in the 3.5 weeks between now and district tournament. I am working with her on the little things that can make a difference without major overhaul changes. My DD takes instruction very well and enjoys on working to improve. We have our last regular season game tonight and am curious to see how she hits with the lower body stance adjustments we have been working on. I have had her pigeon toe her front foot to try to keep her from opening up her hips in the stride. Seems to be helping so far.

Aug 20, 2017
We have 10 team practices in the 3.5 weeks between now and district tournament. I am working with her on the little things that can make a difference without major overhaul changes. My DD takes instruction very well and enjoys on working to improve. We have our last regular season game tonight and am curious to see how she hits with the lower body stance adjustments we have been working on. I have had her pigeon toe her front foot to try to keep her from opening up her hips in the stride. Seems to be helping so far.

View attachment 14225
The front side will still fly open even when front foot is closed in stance. The backside controls what occurs on the front side. Most maintain stretch as long as possible to keep front side on the ball

May 24, 2013
So Cal

View attachment 14225

This ^^^ (bold) is the right approach right now.

Nov 18, 2015
...its hard as a beginning coach in the youth leagues to correct things when the child [player] is having success doing it "the wrong way".
Fixed that for you. :)

Welcome to the site - wanting to learn already puts you ahead of most of the coaches you'll encounter.

Regarding her handset, is it the same during a game? Sometimes tee swings incorporate mechanics that aren't part of the swing they use against live pitching.

May 20, 2019
Fixed that for you. :)

Welcome to the site - wanting to learn already puts you ahead of most of the coaches you'll encounter.

Regarding her handset, is it the same during a game? Sometimes tee swings incorporate mechanics that aren't part of the swing they use against live pitching.

I am going to have my wife take some video tonight during the regular season closing game. DD is RH hitter and i am at 3rd base coach during the game so hard to get a good look. I would say that taking video has been quite an eye opener and wish i had done it sooner. For sure her handset is quite high and far back though.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
When you guys are talking 'handset', are you referring to stance, or toe touch?

The hands can be absolutely anywhere in the stance. It makes no difference whatsoever.

May 20, 2019
The only problem with that is her arms is twice the length of her shoulder width. So the hands will be farther away from the body.

Yeah she is a knuckle dragger like her pops.......Short with unusually long arms. Makes it easy getting the socks on in the morning :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
When you guys are talking 'handset', are you referring to stance, or toe touch?

The hands can be absolutely anywhere in the stance. It makes no difference whatsoever.
Stance.

Yes that is a style thing but the reason for making it a bit more reasonable/typical, in particular for an 8 YO, was outlined when the recommendation was first made. That doesn't look like an uncomfortable/awkward handset to you??

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
So....It seems there are two different styles of recommendations going on here and I don't want to get confused. My DD has no danger in ever being a power hitter as her parents and siblings are all very small people. I will be surprised if she makes it to 100 lbs by highschool. I want to work on making her the best contact hitter possible with her able to place the ball in the gaps rather than over the outfielders heads. I appreciate all the great analysis and some really good points are being made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom