dd having shoulder trouble

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
For those who are experts on pitching mechanics, here is a link to video of the game she pitched in which she first experienced the shoulder pain. Our team is white with blue trim and she is the starter. She told me afterward that it hurt midway through warm ups although she didn't tell anyone until I came to visit her in the second inning.

2012 Warmup at the Creek - Game 1 - YouTube

Oct 22, 2009
Not sure what you mean by IR motion.

I do know her pitching coach told her sometimes she uses "too much shoulder and not enough wrist snap" at times. That is why she was supervised in her workout and coach was also at the game on Friday. The only time she would be palm up would be on a change up. Her off speed pitches don't cause her any pain though, it's only when she brings the heat. And she's a small bundle of muscle at 72 lbs with a top speed of 49 mph.

She may mean that she feels your DD is carrying her shoulder through the release zone, when she should just be snapping it off with with her wrist and letting her arm move more freely through the shoulder.---That's just my guess.

Aug 4, 2011
For those who are experts on pitching mechanics, here is a link to video of the game she pitched in which she first experienced the shoulder pain.

I'm no expert. But here's an observation. I could be wrong, but it looks like she's trying to brake/stop her arm swing HARD, at or just after release of the ball. I discovered my DD doing this when she tries to force a strike. She'll start shortening her movements instead of feeling long, stretched (my words) and relaxed. Hard to tell exactly, though, from the video.

The other team's pitcher had a much more relaxed follow through, FWIW.

Sep 7, 2011
Check out the pitch at 1:40, she doesn't do the full windmill, it's a pitch from the K position.

From the video it looks like she is pulling her arm back after release very quickly, causing a jerking motion. I wold have her stop doing that. Tell her to relax after the ball is gone, and not to pull back, have her reach out and pretend to grab something.

Agree with others, go have your checked out by a physician. Best of Luck.

It does appear that she is finishing with palm facing up, instead of letting her hand rotate over. However, I have no idea if that has anything to do with her shoulder pain.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ask her why she is throwing both arms up in the air. That is one thing that i would stop. There is no reason to lift the ball up over your head prior to each pitch.

I can't see her shoulder, but I tell the girls that are shrugging their shoulder towards me on release, that all the shoulder does is hold the arm on. You should not feel contraction of the muscles in the back or front at all.

Oct 19, 2009
Check out the pitch at 1:40, she doesn't do the full windmill, it's a pitch from the K position.

From the video it looks like she is pulling her arm back after release very quickly, causing a jerking motion. I wold have her stop doing that. Tell her to relax after the ball is gone, and not to pull back, have her reach out and pretend to grab something.

Agree with others, go have your checked out by a physician. Best of Luck.

It does appear that she is finishing with palm facing up, instead of letting her hand rotate over. However, I have no idea if that has anything to do with her shoulder pain.

Sometimes she pitches slingshot to keep opposing teams off balance. Usually only once or twice a game.

Oct 19, 2009
Ask her why she is throwing both arms up in the air. That is one thing that i would stop. There is no reason to lift the ball up over your head prior to each pitch.

I can't see her shoulder, but I tell the girls that are shrugging their shoulder towards me on release, that all the shoulder does is hold the arm on. You should not feel contraction of the muscles in the back or front at all.

That is the original wind up she was taught verbatim by her first pitching coach when she was 7. It is the one she is most comfortable with at the moment. Do you think that overhead motion can cause a problem? I see a lot of pitchers do this.

Oct 22, 2009
I'm no expert. But here's an observation. I could be wrong, but it looks like she's trying to brake/stop her arm swing HARD, at or just after release of the ball. I discovered my DD doing this when she tries to force a strike. She'll start shortening her movements instead of feeling long, stretched (my words) and relaxed. Hard to tell exactly, though, from the video.

The other team's pitcher had a much more relaxed follow through, FWIW.

I've watched the video now and she is stopping the release and jerking the arm back. It also looks like she is leaning forward a bit at release so that would cause her to release out a front more and have the tendency to throw high. By stopping the arm at release or immediately after release she probably feels she can control the ball better and keep it down. Another indication of this, is she does not do this when she is throwing the change-up.
The good news is that she's is feisty and quite the flame thrower for her size so she has a few more miles stored up her ready to come out.

Ask her at what part of the circle the shoulder begins to hurt. Start out with slow releases then speed up until she feels the pain and see just where in the arm circle the pain is happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi