dd having shoulder trouble

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Been coaching fastpitch for five years and haven't seen this before. My 10 year old daughter / pitcher has been having shoulder pain. This is her third year pitching and the trouble started a month ago for the first time.

Now she has always been on teams with four pitchers who get a pretty even amount of circle time so it's not like she gets ridden as our only horse. I think the most she's ever pitched in a day was 7 innings.

She was in the second inning of this game a month ago and walked the bases loaded. She had gone 3-2 on the first two batters with several second strike fouls so I wasn't too concerned about her control until she walked the third batter on four straight. So I go out to talk to her and she's in tears complaining that her shoulder hurt. I immediately replaced her and she didn't pitch anymore the rest of the weekend.

The strange part is that she has no pain throwing overhand or while batting. So, we gave her about a weeks' rest and tried to work out. 30 min workout, no pain and she did well. Two days later, we take her to a pitching lesson and ten minutes in she was experiencing pain.

We took her to see a physical therapist who examined her and stated that she didn't exhibit any type of structural bone / rotator cuff damage but said she has extraordinary range of motion and needs to strenthen her rotator cuff muscles and scapular muscles. So she has been doing these exercises daily and icing her shoulder afterward.

Took more time off and last Monday she had a supervised workout with her pitching coach to make sure there were no mechanical problems and she again did well, 30 minutes no pain. Pitched her Friday night and after two innings she was again complaining of shoulder pain!

So, we are doing what we should have done a month ago and taking her to the doctor - have an appointment this Wednesday.

The thing that is weird to me is that it never bothers her throwing overhand, batting, or tumbling (she dances and does advanced tumbling too), only when she pitches. Has anyone else ever heard of this type of injury / problem?

Friday night was the start of a tournament and although she didn't pitch anymore, she played five more games and had no trouble throwing overhand or batting. She also had her dance recital Saturday and was in four shows with no pain. (yes it was a stupid busy weekend but thank God we are done with the dance stuff till September!)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We took her to see a physical therapist who examined her and stated that she didn't exhibit any type of structural bone / rotator cuff damage but said she has extraordinary range of motion and needs to strenthen her rotator cuff muscles and scapular muscles. So she has been doing these exercises daily and icing her shoulder afterward.

All good pitchers have "extraordinary" range of motion. A sports medicine documented fact. So that's good for you.

Go to doc and demand an MRI, I waited and waited went through physical therapy with DD and wasted too much time. In her case, she had same where overhand and batting didn't bother her much. ( the stories sound so close it's scary ) Only a dye test MRI found my DD's tear. And the sports doctor we went to ( finally ) concluded where the tear was would only be aggravating when she did the windmill.

Glad you are going to the doc, but get the MRI , and ask for it with the first visit.

Aug 4, 2011
I'm new to fastpitch and am just a dad helping out his own 10yo DD, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've just dealt with a similar (same, maybe?) issue. Though perhaps not as extreme as yours. Watch closely to see if she's pushing down her pitch. That is, palm down instead of palm up (or towards third) on the downswing. If my DD doesn't use proper IR motion, she can tweak her shoulder. For her, IR didn't come naturally.

The other arm motions your DD does that never seem to bother her may be because her mechanics are sound in those movements.

Thanks,
Adam

Oct 19, 2009
I'm new to fastpitch and am just a dad helping out his own 10yo DD, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've just dealt with a similar (same, maybe?) issue. Though perhaps not as extreme as yours. Watch closely to see if she's pushing down her pitch. That is, palm down instead of palm up (or towards third) on the downswing. If my DD doesn't use proper IR motion, she can tweak her shoulder. For her, IR didn't come naturally.

The other arm motions your DD does that never seem to bother her may be because her mechanics are sound in those movements.

Thanks,
Adam

Not sure what you mean by IR motion.

I do know her pitching coach told her sometimes she uses "too much shoulder and not enough wrist snap" at times. That is why she was supervised in her workout and coach was also at the game on Friday. The only time she would be palm up would be on a change up. Her off speed pitches don't cause her any pain though, it's only when she brings the heat. And she's a small bundle of muscle at 72 lbs with a top speed of 49 mph.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So how was it eventually resolved?

After the MRI, we went to a Prolotherapy doctor in Nashville. Prolotherapy Nashville Brentwood TN, 615-506-0536, Southeast USA's Premiere Prolotherapy Practice

Some of my BB pitching guys recommended this type of therapy first before surgery. The info from surgeons told us its a 50/50 they ever pitch again. During surgery they "tighten" the ligaments and muscles, thus most lose that "extraordinary" range that made them a pitcher before.

She went for multiple dates of shots, 3 hour drives to this doc, 6-7 shots per visit with a 4 inch needle. She said it hurt. But it was a alternative to surgery which hurts too.

Heat heat and more heat. You really need to read about this treatment and how it works. It jump starts the body and forces it to concentrate all it's healing power on one spot.

Then slowly we went back to his recommended PT. Very slow for about 2 months.

This guy treats MLB, NFL, NBA, and college sports players. And has a great bed side manner especially with young kids like mine. He recommended we took off the summer ( 2011 ) from pitching, just to let the body do what it does. I kept her shut down even in the fall because I didn't want to jeopardize her JR and SR year.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd say "that" treatment helped a ton. I'm not trying to sell a product but she throws harder, and more accurate now than ever before.

I know a bunch of athletes from Memphis who go to this guy in Nashville from knee, back, neck, shoulder, leg problems and not one has not improved.

Just be cautious about any surgery. With modern science there are other options.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Thanks for sharing. She is only ten and we don't have a scholarship or anything riding on her. It's going to take a lot to convince me to have this type of treatment or any type of surgery when she doesn't have pain other than when pitching. I think we'd sooner see her just not pitch and focus on other aspects of her game. (and that would suck don't get me wrong)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks for sharing. She is only ten and we don't have a scholarship or anything riding on her. It's going to take a lot to convince me to have this type of treatment or any type of surgery when she doesn't have pain other than when pitching. I think we'd sooner see her just not pitch and focus on other aspects of her game. (and that would suck don't get me wrong)

I understand. Just get the MRI to be sure, if there is something wrong overhand and other activities might worsen the injury over time. I'm not a doctor, just a concerned parent.

Let us know how your doc visit turns out, we'll be hoping for the best. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Overhand throw is the opposite of pitching, obviously. She may not display any pain in overhand throw. The girl that I saw with the type of problem that you describe, had her shoulder totally pop out while batting, then, she would go to the surgeon and he wouldn't see anything. They had to insist on surgery, and sure enough the surgeon said that once she was completely under anesthetic, the shoulder just completely popped out, again.

Good luck. I know it is frustrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802