dd having shoulder trouble

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
IMO, she is lifting the shoulder prior to release. As she enters the release phase of the pitch, her pitching arm is noticeably away from the hip ( a indicator of the shoulder being tensed or contracted) and other pitchs her shoulder is lifting before she gets to the release. From what I see, she should be experiencing soreness in her trapezoid muscle as well as her deltoid because the shoulder is tense entering and throughout the release. AS Jojo mentions in his post.
I do like the energy and enthusiasm she exhibits but if she will relax the shoulder she can throw just as well and probably have less high pitchs.

Oct 19, 2009
Ask her at what part of the circle the shoulder begins to hurt. Start out with slow releases then speed up until she feels the pain and see just where in the arm circle the pain is happening.

Interesting you bring that up. Getting her to describe the pain is difficult. I'm old and have dealt with all kinds of shoulder issues so I try and ask her based on ache's and pains I've had and she just says it's the front of her shoulder but it's tough to understand if it's muscle or deeper into the shoulder. I do know that after this started she said she doesn't like doing Tees anymore during warm ups. She was doing a kind of reduced Tee, then doing K's with no problems. Can't wait to see what the doc has to say tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments, she is quite a spit-fire. I can tell you that this video sample isn't an example of her best work. She is struggling here but usually puts in sterling performances allowing very few walks and hits.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Glad you saw a physical therapist, but it's a good idea to have an MRI done as well in case there is structural damage. If she has damage, even if she stops pitching the other movements can still worsen the damage even if she does not normally feel pain.

I agree with the others who have mentioned she's slamming on the breaks hard with her arm. That can definitely cause shoulder tension, and I'll add she probably doesn't do that throwing overhand.

It's hard to see from the front angle when she's so far away, but it also looks to me like she dips her back shoulder downward:
Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 3.49.06 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-06-12 at 3.49.19 PM.jpg
Then she ends up leaning forward slightly. So she's heaving her shoulder back, up, and forward. That's a tremendous amount of work for the shoulders, when they should really remain as still as possible while the forearm whips through.

Oct 19, 2009
Glad you saw a physical therapist, but it's a good idea to have an MRI done as well in case there is structural damage. If she has damage, even if she stops pitching the other movements can still worsen the damage even if she does not normally feel pain.

I agree with the others who have mentioned she's slamming on the breaks hard with her arm. That can definitely cause shoulder tension, and I'll add she probably doesn't do that throwing overhand.

It's hard to see from the front angle when she's so far away, but it also looks to me like she dips her back shoulder downward:
View attachment 2104View attachment 2105
Then she ends up leaning forward slightly. So she's heaving her shoulder back, up, and forward. That's a tremendous amount of work for the shoulders, when they should really remain as still as possible while the forearm whips through.

Thanks I will show this to her pitching coach. I wish I knew more about pitching underhand!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here's a link to a game where she cruised six innings with no walks, and scattered 5 hits. This was at the end of March.

2012 March Madness - Championship Game - YouTube

If you are bored enough, check out her at bat in minute 5:41.

Look at 3:58, that should be a small sign something is tight/hurting/not right.

I do like her changing her windup slightly through the game, but I'll have to ask what is the purpose or intention of the 2 arms over the head? That's a lot of unnecessary movement and could be repetitive strain over time. Just my 2 cents.

Hope you figure this out, I really do like her pitching.

Oct 19, 2009
Look at 3:58, that should be a small sign something is tight/hurting/not right.

I do like her changing her windup slightly through the game, but I'll have to ask what is the purpose or intention of the 2 arms over the head? That's a lot of unnecessary movement and could be repetitive strain over time. Just my 2 cents.

Hope you figure this out, I really do like her pitching.

Thanks. I looked at it, not sure if that's a sign or not but you could be on to something. She has never complained of pain until that day in early May in that Wave game. When I asked her she said it never bothered her before. But if there's something off mechanically I suppose something can break down over time.

Like I said that was the wind up she was taught by her first pitching coach (now retired) and the one she's most comfortable with. I have had opposing coaches tell me that that slow preliminary motion sort of mesmerized his hitters so I never messed with it. The idea for the other wind-ups we got from Hal Skinner.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Again I'm no expert, no doctor, but what caught my eye at 3:58 was very similar to what my DD did from time to time prior to the total injury. Of coarse I didn't add 2+2 until later on.

I do understand comfort zones with windups, mine does this little foot slide since young, and probably couldn't find the plate without it. :)

She seems very relaxed yet positive in the circle, a great at bat in the video, and a great future.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is more than one reason not to throw the arms up in the air like that every pitch. Fatigue, repetitive motion syndrome and most of all - you are showing the ball to the batter. The less complicated the motion, the better.

Oct 19, 2009
It could just be too much pitching for someone that age who is still growing and nothing to do with an imperfect motion.

See, that's the part I don't get. I know teams who will ride one pitcher 6-9 games over a weekend. Her team has four good pitchers and the circle time is very balanced. She doesn't work out every day but maybe 3-4 days a week, 30 minute sessions and then during tournaments no more than a game a day. Hopefully we get some answers tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi