DD Getting frozen out of High School ball. Any options during that time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
If you polled them, my bet is every senior on that team would rather take their chances with the teammate who has been with them for four years than the one who has been there two months.

The only people who would be upset about the freshman not playing are the freshman's parents. Probably not even the girl herself. Players want to believe their history will be respected, not thrown aside for a newer model.
I think you are completely wrong. Most girls want to win and could care less how old the girl is that helps them accomplish that. The guy said his freshman DD consistently outperformed the Sr and the Sr got hammered in the playoff game and caused them to lose badly. No girl on that team gave a darn about “history” during that game, they just wanted to win.

Feb 20, 2020
I think teammates are much more loyal than you give them credit for, especially within a senior class.

What he actually said was in the first game of the year the senior won 7-5 and then his DD pitched a no hitter in the second game. And that his DD played a bunch but the senior played more. And that an assistant told him they freshman should have started, but the coach decided to start the senior and they lost. It wasn't a case where one was bad and one was good. You might be able to make the case that one was good and the other was slightly better. And in that case, I think the girls on her team would rather go to battle with the girl they'd known and gone to battle with before.

Jun 8, 2016
I think teammates are much more loyal than you give them credit for, especially within a senior class.

What he actually said was in the first game of the year the senior won 7-5 and then his DD pitched a no hitter in the second game. And that his DD played a bunch but the senior played more. And that an assistant told him they freshman should have started, but the coach decided to start the senior and they lost. It wasn't a case where one was bad and one was good. You might be able to make the case that one was good and the other was slightly better. And in that case, I think the girls on her team would rather go to battle with the girl they'd known and gone to battle with before.
Not sure credit is the right word to describe what is basically nepotism 🤷🏽‍♂️

Basically somebody is being punished for no other reason than she was born earlier...doesn’t sound like something I would want to have to defend to my boss when asked.All things equal play the Sr more..things are rarely “equal” though. Giving up 5 runs is not nearly equal to a no no in most cases...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Far be it from me to agree with @texasheat on...well...anything really.

But he's 100% right here.

Most girls want to win and could care less how old the girl is that helps them accomplish that. The guy said his freshman DD consistently outperformed the Sr and the Sr got hammered in the playoff game and caused them to lose badly. No girl on that team gave a darn about “history” during that game, they just wanted to win.

Jun 8, 2016
I am a bleeding heart when it comes to many things but this isn’t a 5 YO kid not knowing where his next meal is going to come from because his parents cannot/will not find a job....

Feb 20, 2020
Not sure credit is the right word to describe what is basically nepotism 🤷🏽‍♂️

Basically somebody is being punished for no other reason than she was born earlier...doesn’t sound like something I would want to have to defend to my boss when asked.All things equal play the Sr more..things are rarely “equal” though. Giving up 5 runs is not nearly equal to a no no in most cases...

I don't think loyalty equals nepotism. I think loyalty comes from a lot of factors, and the poster in this case is trying to break the game down to one specific thing, when it's much more.

Every game is different. The no hitter might have been a different lineup, or the team might have been really down after losing the first. Might have been tired. might have been late. Might not have been able to see in the lights. Ump's zone may have adjusted. All sorts of things. Or the freshman might have been really on. Watched a good team this week score 13 in the first. Other team switched pitchers and this one had a rise. The other team had never seen this kind of rise before and got no-hit the rest of the game (ended up losing 14-13. Hell of a fun game to watch). They just couldn't stay off it. The same pitcher got shelled by the next team that was ready for it. Every game is different.

It's also just parental assumption they win if the freshman pitches. The freshman might have gotten rocked, too. It's never great when someone says stuff like "we would have won if my DD had played more" because there's no way of knowing whether that's true. What was laid out to us was two competent pitchers, and the poster thought his DD was better.

The freshman wasn't being punished. She wasn't made to run poles or fetch drinks. She got plenty of mound time. She just didn't start the playoffs because the coach went with the older player. Because the poster said the senior kept getting rocked, that mean they won more than a couple of them. Son the team was performing. I think everyone is right -- if the freshman is great and the senior sucks, of course everyone wants to go with the one who can win the game. But both of them could. According to the guys own story, it wasn't a case of great versus terrible or even good versus bad. It was good versus slightly better. In that case, you go with senior. Ity :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The freshman wasn't being punished. She wasn't made to run poles or fetch drinks. She just didn't start because the coach went with the older player.
Yeah without actually seeing the players, I have no idea about the actual situation in the OP (which is why I said in most cases when I mentioned 5 runs vs no-no). What I am talking about ( I guess I should have prefaced my statements by saying this) is a hypothetical situation where the underclassmen is the better player and is not being played due to seniority..that is a punishment IMO. It isn't a punishment which will scar the kid for life, but a punishment nonetheless.

Jul 5, 2016
Yeah I have no idea about the actual situation in the OP. What I am talking about, which I guess I should have prefaced my statements by, is a hypothetical situation where the underclassmen is the better player and is not being played due to seniority..that is a punishment IMO. It isn't a punishment which will scar the kid for life, but a punishment nonetheless.

That's why a lot of high school teams are a mess. Some teams consider seniority over talent, some don't. There is likely a great variation in player commitment to the sport. This is not to say that you don't have club teams with the same issues. It is just that high school is worse.

Jun 8, 2016
That's why a lot of high school teams are a mess. Some teams consider seniority over talent, some don't. There is likely a great variation in player commitment to the sport. This is not to say that you don't have club teams with the same issues. It is just that high school is worse.
At the very least, if a coach is going to prioritize seniority over ability (for whatever reason), it should be verbalized so that the better player doesn't start to doubt herself. If the coach is afraid to verbalize it, then they obviously know what they are doing is not right....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The freshman wasn't being punished. She wasn't made to run poles or fetch drinks. She just didn't start because the coach went with the older player.
👇This version
Player A wasnt being punished. She wasnt made to run poles or fetch drinks.
She just didnt start because the Coach went with player B.

Would be a simple solution.
instead of labeling people by age.

However this discussion historically continues because folks want to sort through
Entitlement
Vs
Earning

High school is a public oriented place. Pretty much always going to be a mixture
of goals. Fun Vs Win.

Thing is
High schools usually have two teams~
Varsity
Junior Varsity.
*Generally not equal to eachother.
Cuz...ya'kno...
Varsity has that...
Varsity Letter = Prestige

Brings the question
Should that be handed out?
Or
Earned !

If ALL people were truly satisfied
'Just playing'
Playing varsity wouldnt matter.
But instead notice that to actually 'play' on a team 'called varsity' matters to some who dont actually think winning is a good goal.

And THAT in-itself is weird.
Cuz some want the varsity letter, regardless of losing.

Different priorities are okay.
imo
Team things need to have a common goal!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06