Curve ball help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
All due to the fact she can contort her hand the way she does.

That and a LOT of hard work. I can throw a pretty flat spinning curve, but it takes a lot of work to keep good spin in full motion. "Contorting" is a good way to describe it. The wrist needs to be really cupped to keep the axis vertical. To keep it from turning forward towards bullet, I find I need to really turn the thumb down and back. In my mind, it feels like a horizontal flip change! The effort to get it to move enough to be effective is not worth the effort from my perspective. If a kid understands spin orientation and is committed to mastering it, then I wish them well and will be glad to spend a little time going over it. I'd much rather focus on a good drop, change and rise. I also think that learning the curve can help teach the rise.

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Getting kids to understand spin is key. So many don't. Very rare to see kids, heck, college kids even, that have 3 distinct pitches. I can only think of 3 from the video I've seen of last year's WCWS. Each of these kids threw a drop, rise, and change.
Kleist-Parker-Plain

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Quoting Barry Bondstalking to Finch, “That ain’t no curveball. That’s a $&@ slider!”

I feel helpless just watching that video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad