Curve ball help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A curveball doesn't work in college. The time for learning new pitches is over.

She has to perfect her rise (or drop), fb and change.

Location, location, location.

What the coach wants on a curve is a pitch on the outside corner. Focus on the location. Forget trying to make it move.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
A curveball doesn't work in college. The time for learning new pitches is over.

She has to perfect her rise (or drop), fb and change.

Location, location, location.

What the coach wants on a curve is a pitch on the outside corner. Focus on the location. Forget trying to make it move.

Littlejohn seemed to have success with it.

Jul 22, 2015
I think she is pulling with the index finger while securing with the thumb. Possibly try more cupping? You will see the finger point also with her rise but more like a V....drop also has the finger point thingy.
Interestingly, she used to use the mans grip but changed because was told it was wrong.
View attachment 13880

Just my opinion but if the picture is a finish after a curve then I may see part the problem. I would want to see that index finger pointed a little more towards the sky and/or towards her body. In other words it looks like she may be finishing the pitch out in front of herself instead of really spinning it hard in towards her hip. Pulling the index finger in behind the ball and using the middle finger on a seem to do most of the pulling may put her hand in a better position. It will probably be more off-speed but may give her better movement.

Jul 22, 2015
Littlejohn is the only one I have found that throws a flat spinning curve, good or bad. I see alot of video of bulletspin thrown in or outside.

Hers is definitely the closest to perfect that I've seen. I think many others that get labeled bullet spin are actually just less than ideal spin axis. I've caught some that didn't look like they should move out based on the spin but somehow they do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad