Curve ball help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Just my opinion but if the picture is a finish after a curve then I may see part the problem. I would want to see that index finger pointed a little more towards the sky and/or towards her body. In other words it looks like she may be finishing the pitch out in front of herself instead of really spinning it hard in towards her hip. Pulling the index finger in behind the ball and using the middle finger on a seem to do most of the pulling may put her hand in a better position. It will probably be more off-speed but may give her better movement.
Here's the reason she can spin it the way she does. If your gonna spin it flat, palm up is the goal
136f2062e60d1328f3b15255a3207ee6.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What I noticed...if she stays open a little longer, her spins seemed to be tighter and the ball is faster. In her case, she don’t always do this. At times it seems she is throwing around her hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to define what you mean by 'tighter'. I have seen this term before, does it mean faster spin? The spin axis is important if you want maximum break.

Apr 11, 2013
A curveball doesn't work in college. The time for learning new pitches is over.

She has to perfect her rise (or drop), fb and change.

Location, location, location.

What the coach wants on a curve is a pitch on the outside corner. Focus on the location. Forget trying to make it move.

I will disagree. DD is a pitcher for a P5 team that does quite well with a curve. Just ask Texas.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's the reason she can spin it the way she does. If your gonna spin it flat, palm up is the goal

But the picture doesn't really tell us anything, does it? The ball is supposed to be on top of her hand at 9, and the picture shows the ball on top of her hand at 9.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
But the picture doesn't really tell us anything, does it? The ball is supposed to be on top of her hand at 9, and the picture shows the ball on top of her hand at 9.
Gonna edit this post, maybe for productivity. Let's actually look at what LittleJohn does at 9, then at 6 to see what a difference it makes, shall we? I made a different gif, slowed down at 9 and again at 6. It shows me exactly how she manages the spin. Not the typical bulletspun curve

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Put on your glasses. Not many videos I've found shows pitchers who are able to get to this position. You amaze me at some of your comments?

Kind of following the approach of, "If I can't prove what I'm saying, I'll just attack the guy who disagrees with me," aren't you?

I agree the ball is not at 9. It look more like 7. My mistake. Does that prove that she has perfect 9-3 spin? No. What is the spin on the ball? Again, where is the slow motion video showing the spin?

I watch the CWS year after year...and year after year, they have super slow motion videos of rises, drops, and bulletspin. But, for some reason, no videos showing 9-3 or 3-9 spin. Kind of weird, isn't it? Shouldn't we have tons of videos showing the spin?

Since you asked about "my comments"': Skepticism is a good. I don't believe in voodoo and magic. I don't believe anybody about pitching (including All-Americans and Olympians) until there is a super-slow motion video proving that is how its done.

I've been proven wrong a few times...which is Ok with me. If you can do it, great. I hope you do.

(I seem to be the only person in softball who can say, "I was wrong.")

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Kind of following the approach of, "If I can't prove what I'm saying, I'll just attack the guy who disagrees with me," aren't you?

I agree the ball is not at 9. It look more like 7. My mistake. Does that prove that she has perfect 9-3 spin? No. What is the spin on the ball? Again, where is the slow motion video showing the spin?

I watch the CWS year after year...and year after year, they have super slow motion videos of rises, drops, and bulletspin. But, for some reason, no videos showing 9-3 or 3-9 spin. Kind of weird, isn't it? Shouldn't we have tons of videos showing the spin?

Since you asked about "my comments"': Skepticism is a good. I don't believe in voodoo and magic. I don't believe anybody about pitching (including All-Americans and Olympians) until there is a super-slow motion video proving that is how its done.

I've been proven wrong a few times...which is Ok with me. If you can do it, great. I hope you do.

Nor do I believe anything I read about spins, period. But it's hard to argue with video, eh? Littlejohn is a rare pitcher when it comes to the curve. I've found no other who can get her movement. All due to the fact she can contort her hand the way she does.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

I'll agree with the abundance of spin pics, they are not there. I've watched game after game of the WCWS, just for the slow mo. 90 percent don't have anything other than bullet spin. Their are some good rise spin pitchers, dropball pitchers, only found 1 with a true curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00