Cuico tossed for 3 games but Hoagland plays on ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've told this story before, when I was playing college ball my SS ( 6' 6 a good 260 ) came in from 3rd on a hit and the catcher set up. He hit that guy so hard I thought he had killed him for real. Knocked him cold out, broke his collar bone and a few ribs. This SS guy was nuts, not the kind of guy you want to hang around off the field. We called him " Lurch " cause he was huge and just about as pretty. :)

One night we were at a local college pub, he was at the bar starting some mess. An officer came in and asked him to leave, the SS stood up ( all 6'6 260 ) and told the officer to " call for backup " and the SS sat back down. The cop left and came back in 10 mins later with 10 more cops. They arrested him with no struggle, but that night still sticks in my head. It was classic.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My thoughts exactly . Had Hoagland been ejected I don't believe any of the other stuff would have ever happened . You let stuff slide that far and pretty soon people are out for blood . My DD is a catcher and she has bulldozed a few catchers in her career and I believe that comes with the territory . What happened afterwards is inexcusable .

Bulldozing anyone is softball is inexcusable. You want to play baseball, play baseball. IMO, running over players is a cowardly move.

You need to understand who controls NCAA softball. It isn't the umpires, yet they are the ones who must tread lighter than anyone else whether the rules back them up or not.

I would have dumped the runner who wiped out the catcher on the OBS call. And I would have been criticized for it simply because there are people who believe that is part of the game. I guarantee the first time a girl doesn't get up after a CS move like that, you will see a hellstorm and no one will understand how it got to that point.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bulldozing anyone is softball is inexcusable. You want to play baseball, play baseball. IMO, running over players is a cowardly move.

You need to understand who controls NCAA softball. It isn't the umpires, yet they are the ones who must tread lighter than anyone else whether the rules back them up or not.

I would have dumped the runner who wiped out the catcher on the OBS call. And I would have been criticized for it simply because there are people who believe that is part of the game. I guarantee the first time a girl doesn't get up after a CS move like that, you will see a hellstorm and no one will understand how it got to that point.

qouonk.gif

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our whole family is watching. We have no allegiance to Oregon but we're outraged by the disparity. Texas is the ditiest, cheapest team I have ever seen (and I started out rooting for them). Go Ducks!!

Niece, DD and me were watching the game. We were slightly rooting for Texas, then switched to Oregon as the game went on. 2 other things about the game.

1) Nice to see the Oregon Manager not screaming at the umpire, you could tell he was mad.
2) Sad when 10YOA and 14YOA know the rules better then the announcer.

Oct 25, 2009

I don't like the collision at all!!! However, I don't like the catcher standing in the middle of the only path the runner has to the plate.

If you operate a motor vehicle like that the result will be similar.

We teach pitchers not to stand on the plate when covering home; maybe we need to teach the catchers.

The rule is you have to tag the runner; not stop the runner!

Jul 26, 2010
That Japan catcher was clearly blocking the plate. Look where she is in relation to the foul line. This is legal in international play, which is not the watered down "oh they are girls, be gentle" NCAA ruleset. The base runner is Jessica Mendoza.

They're athletes, they play hard, they play with emotion, and they don't always (usually) make the right decisions when left to their own devices.

Despite what most of the "hitting experts" may think, this isn't golf, contact happens. Taking a swing at another player after a play though, well, it isn't hockey either.

-W

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't like the collision at all!!! However, I don't like the catcher standing in the middle of the only path the runner has to the plate.

If you operate a motor vehicle like that the result will be similar.

We teach pitchers not to stand on the plate when covering home; maybe we need to teach the catchers.

The rule is you have to tag the runner; not stop the runner!

I AGREE! ------catcher's dad.

Oct 25, 2009
That Japan catcher was clearly blocking the plate. Look where she is in relation to the foul line. This is legal in international play, which is not the watered down "oh they are girls, be gentle" NCAA ruleset. The base runner is Jessica Mendoza.

They're athletes, they play hard, they play with emotion, and they don't always (usually) make the right decisions when left to their own devices.

Despite what most of the "hitting experts" may think, this isn't golf, contact happens. Taking a swing at another player after a play though, well, it isn't hockey either.

-W

Just because a rule is intelligent doesn't mean it's "watered down." The tag is all that is required.

Baseball will change the rule once someone figures out the high cost. Unfortunately, that change may only come after some popular athlete is confined to a wheelchair.

It's ignorant to block the plate! Just that simple!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619