Cuico tossed for 3 games but Hoagland plays on ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
but having talked with umpires in my own association about how college umpiring works, I'm sure it's tough having to balance getting more college work against being labeled as "undesirable" by college coaches and/or administrators.

Ding, ding, ding!!! There's your winner. Something I've been trying to get across for years. As much as it seems the umpires have the authority, the NCAA & coaches run the game, make the rules and have a strong opinion of interpretations. You also need to remember, there is no such thing as an NCAA umpire, but umpires who work NCAA games.

They belong to umpire associations that are contracted by college conferences. The conference assignors are relied upon and responsible to accommodate the conference's games and in some cases, coaches. The NCAA has an umpire staff that determines mechanics, training, interpretations and evaluation of umpires. The assignors may suggest umpires or they are seen/requested through other sources for post-season assignment.

So, when it comes right down to it, every umpire has to be politically aware (for lack of a better term) when working high-profile games. I'm not talking about affecting their calls, but being a bit more judicious and patient when handling the extra-curricular activities.

Last edited:
May 30, 2012
My thoughts exactly . Had Hoagland been ejected I don't believe any of the other stuff would have ever happened . You let stuff slide that far and pretty soon people are out for blood . My DD is a catcher and she has bulldozed a few catchers in her career and I believe that comes with the territory . What happened afterwards is inexcusable .

She was issued a warning for lowering her shoulder when she hit the UT catcher. You can agree with that or not but if the ump thought she lowered her shoulder then by rule they have to address it.

Hoagland was in the wrong as well and was warned.

IMO they were treated the same. They both went slightly over the line and both were given warnings.

Hoagland didn't screw up again and Cuico did which is why she was ejected.

All that said I think everyone was getting all riled up for nothing. The girls were playing hard and physical. It happens sometimes.

The umps were terrible all weekend but I don't think they mishandled that situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez