Crazy injury - to the bucket dad!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2018
My wife tore her rotator cuff reaching up from the bucket for a high fastball from our daughter. Needless to say, she hasn't caught her in over two years.

Oct 29, 2019
My big toe currently looks like a plum with a toenail 1/2 hanging off of it.

Wasn't even that bad of a pitch.

I don't think the girls could see my tears through the umpires mask so they probably still think I'm cool.

Jan 8, 2019
So - has anyone else had a stupid injury like this before? I'm so annoyed that it came from this and not some daring, stupid dad thing that I did so I could feel like I actually earned this!

I did this almost exactly, except I was playing 1B in Men's SP championship game. Initial pop digging out a throw from 3B (cannon arm, but not great control), made the play and could not repeat the intense initial pain, so went to bat the next half inning and tore the bicep tendon the rest of the way on the swing (hit the ball and may have beat the throw had my first step out of the box not been from my knees). Had to finish the game one-handed (tendon tear, so no intense pain unless you re-engage it, which I managed to do two more times). That was a Thursday night game, doc visit Friday AM (thanks to a friend in the biz), surgery to re-attach on Monday, had to coach DD's game on Tuesday, cast for 1+ months, robo-brace for 2ish mos. :-(

20160414_235438.jpg
Yes, that is my bicep curled up to my shoulder.

1573851348884.png1573851405838.png1573851235012.png

It's a pretty big deal, so hope your surgery consult goes well and you heal fast! Surgery to re-attach is from both sides of the arm, but the top incision was in the elbow crease, so photo just looks like a bruise. Cool, but gnarly!

Best of luck!

Nov 8, 2018
So I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, because it seems so strange that it could happen at all.

There I was, innocently catching for my 13 yo at her lesson, which I've done for about 4 years now. I now have 3 daughters that pitch but on this particular day, the oldest went first. Everything was going nicely getting her warmed up, I felt great, she looked great. Next thing I know, ball down on the plate, no problem, I'm a professional! Scoop up and out to the ball, easy play I've made many many times. At that immediate moment I hear a pop in my arm (my glove arm!), sharp pain in my elbow that took my breath away that lasted about 30 seconds. Being the tough guy I am (not really), I got back on the bucket and tried to continue but every time I had to move my hand to the ball that sharp pain would return and I had to turn over the catching responsibility to the PC.

Pain when I moved my arm continued especially if I pulled or turned hand over. Head to walk in ortho just down from our house next morning and it turns out I tore my biceps tendon that attaches to my radius bone! MRI next week with most likely surgery soon after. Bruising and swelling came late (last night and this morning). Ibuprofen helps but still if I tweak it the sharp pain returns.

So - has anyone else had a stupid injury like this before? I'm so annoyed that it came from this and not some daring, stupid dad thing that I did so I could feel like I actually earned this!

Have a great weekend!

As you were describing i said bicep tendon to myself.
Well, ive injured it myself a few years back. In a different manner.
The real question is did you tear the bottom or the top?
I tore the bottom and it was extremely painful. You lose a lot of function of pronation and some of flexion.
Surgery is not an absolute if you can handle the disfiguration and strength loss. However if you go more than a few
Weeks surgery becomes harder and they may not even try.
Post surgical recovery is about 1 year. 6 months before you can do anything explosive movements.

I wish you luck and wow what a stupid injury from catching on a bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
My crazy injuries - broken rib from coughing too much and a broken zygomatic arch (eye socket bone) while coaching my dd’s softball team. I was playing SS during batting practice except we were using baseballs - a girl hit a hard grounder that took a bad hop and caught me right in the eye. Needless to say it was not fun having to go to work the next day (at a medical practice) and explain to my colleagues why I had a black eye.

Jun 11, 2012
None of my injuries are softball related but I spent an entire 10U season in a boot for a fractured ankle from stepping in a hole at the beach. That entire summer DD’s teammates reminded me every time there was a hole anywhere near me.
Last spring I met Marriard at DD’s first college game. I described myself as the woman with the giant knee brace. I stepped on a toy my dog left on the stairs and tore my MCL.

May 29, 2015
No parent with three daughters should have three pitchers ... one of them has to become a catcher. 😁

I caught my daughter on the bucket for about five pitches. Too hard to defend myself. After that it was good old fashioned catcher squatting. Took some in the shins, but otherwise escaped unharmed.

She kept telling me to get my umpire gear out and I kept trying to explain to her it moves different from a catcher’s gear.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
No parent with three daughters should have three pitchers ... one of them has to become a catcher. 😁

I caught my daughter on the bucket for about five pitches. Too hard to defend myself. After that it was good old fashioned catcher squatting. Took some in the shins, but otherwise escaped unharmed.
SO much truth in both of these comments!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom