Bucket Dad Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
My old Under Armour Catchers Mitt walked off from me the other day. I need a new one that will accommodate short but fat fingers and hands. My pitcher pitches around 63. The Under Armour one wasn't protecting my hand too well but that may have been just to my inability to catching in the pocket. RIGHT handed throw.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For a fastpitch mitt, the Liberty Advanced is your best bet. The 34" mitt is big enough to handle a male's hands, and it breaks in pretty quickly.

That being said, I had to upgrade to a baseball mitt to handle my daughter's speed. The LA is good, but I needed more padding once she started throwing over 60 MPH. If you go that route, you just need to break it in with a softball. I went with a Rawlings Heart of The Hide Jadier Molina model, but All-Star makes good ones, too.

You can always contact me for a good deal as we carry all brands.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024
I'll reply here instead of creating new thread.

Any recommendations for a good dad glove? If my daughter takes up pitching, I'll worry about that later (she's soon to be 9). Just looking for something to play catch with her and to use at practice while I'm coaching her rec team. Been using a 30+ year old glove that's is a pancake for the last 2 years, but would like to treat myself to something decent. Would like to keep it under $200, but am willing to buy used.

Do I just get an adult fastpitch glove at around 12-12.5 inches (would that be your recommended size?) and call it a day? I have average size hands for a man (wear a size L golf glove), so will standard fastpitch gloves fit comfortably? If I get a baseball glove, do I need to get an outfielder's glove for a deeper pocket? And would I stay with the same 12-12.5 inch size? Or, I guess the last option is just to grab a slow pitch glove off the shelf at Academy.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2023
I'll reply here instead of creating new thread.

Any recommendations for a good dad glove? If my daughter takes up pitching, I'll worry about that later (she's soon to be 9). Just looking for something to play catch with her and to use at practice while I'm coaching her rec team. Been using a 30+ year old glove that's is a pancake for the last 2 years, but would like to treat myself to something decent. Would like to keep it under $200, but am willing to buy used.

Do I just get an adult fastpitch glove at around 12-12.5 inches (would that be your recommended size?) and call it a day? I have average size hands for a man (wear a size L golf glove), so will standard fastpitch gloves fit comfortably? If I get a baseball glove, do I need to get an outfielder's glove for a deeper pocket? And would I stay with the same 12-12.5 inch size? Or, I guess the last option is just to grab a slow pitch glove off the shelf at Academy.

Thanks in advance.

standard baseball glove catches 11" softballs just fine. I've got what I assume is a pretty standard sized adult baseball glove and I've never even thought about it. Can easily hold 3-4 softballs in it while pitching BP. My only issue, which is probably just because I'm a terrible catcher, is when she bounces once in the dirt in front of me pitching, I'll probably get a catcher's mitt once she gets some real velocity and then I'll be re-reading some of these threads about left-handed catcher's mitts..(might just say screw it and throw righty for that)

They're squishy, but this is 6 11" weighted balls all in my glove.

20231230_140817.jpg

Jul 11, 2023
I'm not sure it's common, but not unheard of at least, to also consider a 1B glove.

You can always supplement any glove with padded inner gloves, catcher's thumbs, etc. also.

Jan 10, 2024
standard baseball glove catches 11" softballs just fine. I've got what I assume is a pretty standard sized adult baseball glove and I've never even thought about it. Can easily hold 3-4 softballs in it while pitching BP. My only issue, which is probably just because I'm a terrible catcher, is when she bounces once in the dirt in front of me pitching, I'll probably get a catcher's mitt once she gets some real velocity and then I'll be re-reading some of these threads about left-handed catcher's mitts..(might just say screw it and throw righty for that)

They're squishy, but this is 6 11" weighted balls all in my glove.

View attachment 29259
What size baseball glove is that?

I'm now thinking of just relacing my old Rawlings HOH 12 in baseball glove from my high school days and rocking with it.

Apr 8, 2019
At 9 y/o anything will work for at least a year or two. My daughter gave me a baseball catcher's glove that I've been using for years. However, she is 16 now, throws gas, and that glove is definitely not the right choice. You will want something that has more webbing to catch the ball with. She is pounding my hand into a pulp. She bruised the pad of my index finger and I wear it outside the glove. With more webbing, your hand will take fewer direct shots.

Apr 8, 2019
At 9 y/o anything will work for at least a year or two. My daughter gave me a baseball catcher's glove that I've been using for years. However, she is 16 now, throws gas, and that glove is definitely not the right choice. You will want something that has more webbing to catch the ball with. She is pounding my hand into a pulp. She bruised the pad of my index finger and I wear it outside the glove. With more webbing, your hand will take fewer direct shots.
Oh, and since you are looking for recommendations, I received a Hawk Ergo bucket top seat for xmas and I love it. I wish I knew about it years ago. So much more comfortable than sitting on the bucket top.
1705085833022.png

Mar 29, 2023
Hopefully not hijacking the thread, but seems relatively on-topic: Do you all wear shin guards as well? Are there any that are really light weight/easy for parents to slap on quick?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles