Bucket Dad Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Gotcha. Sorry, I just chimed in on this thread instead of creating a new one. I'm just looking for a glove to play catch with my daughter and to use when coaching. Not necessarily for a "bucket mitt" like the thread title implies. She's got one more year of 8U, but I'd prefer to just get a good enough glove that will last me the next 10 years or so. If she gets into pitching, I'll worry about getting a mitt at that point. So for just a standard glove, is a baseball 1B mitt still a better option over a 12.5 or 12.75 outfielder's baseball glove? Figured those could be broken in with a deep/wider pocket, but maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe a 1B glove would just help future-proof me (whether my daughter starts pitching or if I need to help out catching other girls at practice in future years)...
Splurge a little, depending on what size you want or need, get yourself a Don Morton 12” Pro12TC or a 12.75” PRO-T Six-Finger Trap glove. There’s no better Dad glove out there to have a catch with your daughter / kids, plus you’ll absolutely have the coolest glove at the field, period!

It’s a $30 a year investment over that next decade….and it won’t sound too bad to the wife when you word it that way! I’m the master at it (in my mind). Trust me on this!

Jun 29, 2023
I can't imagine catching a hs kid with a regular glove. I think I forgot my mitt once and used a decent 12.75 glove. I hope that never happens again.

Jun 19, 2016
Back to Brian's original question about catcher's mitts....his self admitted inability to square up a 63 mph pitch is a perfect recipe for pain!! Most, and I say most Dad's here don't ever get to sample 63 mph, it can hurt you!

Are we talking 63 mph straight gas, or a hard spinning 63 mph, or both?

I've never owned a custom HOH mitt off of the builder, if I were doing this all over again, that would be my first choice, expensive....yes!

What I do know for a fact, for straight gas, you can't beat a Vinci just for their palm pad, period! And for the spinner, it's All-Star for their excellent thumb protection with it's single break hinge / heel. Thumb stingers are the worst, wayyy more painful than just hard impacts to the palm!
I was actually able to catch up with the person who took my mitt and got it back so I haven't looked at this thread, but the problem about her throwing hard and my lack of softball skills remains. I actually went to Scheels and the Rawlings Heart of the Hide fit my hand really well, but it will cost a lot so maybe a little down the line. She throws really hard and it has plenty of spin. Don't get me wrong...if you have great skills a lesser glove will do. A former OU short stop was one of coaches for a while and she warmed her up with her fielders glove. I just can't catch 63 with my skills or lack there of.

Oct 12, 2020
Splurge a little, depending on what size you want or need, get yourself a Don Morton 12” Pro12TC or a 12.75” PRO-T Six-Finger Trap glove. There’s no better Dad glove out there to have a catch with your daughter / kids, plus you’ll absolutely have the coolest glove at the field, period!

It’s a $30 a year investment over that next decade….and it won’t sound too bad to the wife when you word it that way! I’m the master at it (in my mind). Trust me on this!
Not a Rawlings, but I picked up this Easton Professional six finger trap for a little over a hundred since I'm lht. Still a great deal for a righty.
https://www.justballgloves.com/prod...hybrid-12-75--baseball-glove--pch-l710/34403/

1000007565.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles