Crazy injury - to the bucket dad!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
So I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, because it seems so strange that it could happen at all.

There I was, innocently catching for my 13 yo at her lesson, which I've done for about 4 years now. I now have 3 daughters that pitch but on this particular day, the oldest went first. Everything was going nicely getting her warmed up, I felt great, she looked great. Next thing I know, ball down on the plate, no problem, I'm a professional! Scoop up and out to the ball, easy play I've made many many times. At that immediate moment I hear a pop in my arm (my glove arm!), sharp pain in my elbow that took my breath away that lasted about 30 seconds. Being the tough guy I am (not really), I got back on the bucket and tried to continue but every time I had to move my hand to the ball that sharp pain would return and I had to turn over the catching responsibility to the PC.

Pain when I moved my arm continued especially if I pulled or turned hand over. Head to walk in ortho just down from our house next morning and it turns out I tore my biceps tendon that attaches to my radius bone! MRI next week with most likely surgery soon after. Bruising and swelling came late (last night and this morning). Ibuprofen helps but still if I tweak it the sharp pain returns.

So - has anyone else had a stupid injury like this before? I'm so annoyed that it came from this and not some daring, stupid dad thing that I did so I could feel like I actually earned this!

Have a great weekend!

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
You must have injured your biceps tendon before this and you just finished it off. I tore my biceps tendon picking up a 300 pound door by myself, luckily partial tear no surgery. You would be surprised at the crazy injuries people get from normal activities. I perform anesthesia at Orthopaedic surgery centers and i ask patients to make up a great story on how their injury occurred before i ask how it really happened.
My only injury to date from catching my daughter is a lost Big toe nail when a drop ball found my foot. I layed on the ground for couple minutes then went inside to pull the entire nail off. It finally started to grow back after a month.
I hope you heal quickly!

Aug 2, 2019
I've thrown my back out reaching for a pitch while on bucket duty.

Not that that means anything. I've thrown my back out brushing my teeth, tagging up on a fly ball, swing a golf club, walking down the sidewalk, giving a high five, getting into my truck, getting out of my truck, sitting still in my truck...

May 6, 2015
when working with DDs on hitting with machines or pitching as best I could (about 20 feet away) with DDs, I would always challenge girls, if they could break my nose, I would give them $20. Once, at local rec facility, in cage with machine (and a screen)(fringe benefits of being a coach), I got a dimple bruise on my left arm that lasted three weeks. wore it with a bit of pride!

Jan 28, 2017
DD was 9 and PC moved up really close (15 ft) and told her throw one really slow. I knew on the circle I was in trouble. She threw it wide open and hit me in the eye. Me being the tuff guy, I got back on the bucket. My eye was swollen shut by the end of the lesson. Black eye for over a month. Was the head HS football coach and it was ruff listening to everyone.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Annesdad (that's weird :oops:), sorry, that sounds like no fun, hope you get it taken care of with no issues! I feel like I've run the race and won! Been catching my DD for almost 8 years, no black eyes, broken nose, or any teeth knocked out!

But I've had my share of black & blue shins and knees, a couple of black toenails, and my left hand beat to death! Hope you heal up soon!

Nov 18, 2015
Threw my back out putting on my socks. yeah - I definitely needed to come up with a better story. Co-worker gave me a tip for teeth brushing - elevate one foot slightly, such as resting it on the toe kick if you have an under-cabinet sink. It relieves a good amount of back tension compared to bending forward with both feet on the floor. #lifehacksforfortysomethings

AD - one of the recent 'Baseball Outside the Box' podcasts was discussing the same injury - I guess Miguel Cabrera tore his bicep during a swing? Sounds like your reflexes are too quick for your own good. :)

Nov 29, 2009
Broke the 5th metatarsal bone in my right foot walking down the hallway of my house. I forgot something in the kitchen. Stopped and turned around to go get it. Heard and felt a pop in my foot along with a lot of pain as I pivoted. Ended up wearing a boot for over 8 weeks. Still going to need surgery on it. Ugh....

It sucks to get old!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12