Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2015
I'll apologize up front if this has already been asked, but has there been a decrease in flu related deaths since the outbreak hit? I guess what i'm asking is, are the coronavirus cases taking the place of what would have been flu cases in some people? Is the hospitalization rate and death rate of the flu down or is it comparable to what it has been?

Apr 28, 2014
I'll apologize up front if this has already been asked, but has there been a decrease in flu related deaths since the outbreak hit? I guess what i'm asking is, are the coronavirus cases taking the place of what would have been flu cases in some people? Is the hospitalization rate and death rate of the flu down or is it comparable to what it has been?
They are claiming the deceased flu numbers are due to better sanitation habits among Americans.

Oct 2, 2017
shows just as of today so far there have 560 deaths Flu

Mar 28, 2014
South Korea had the most comprehensive testing of any nation, and their mortality rate is the lowest.

Where did you hear that? Not true according to these numbers. For example Germany's mortality rate is 1/3 of South Korea's.

Mar 10, 2020
People pushing "Not enough testing" aren't understanding the current math. Not enough testing would not only show up as a low number of reported cases BUT ALSO as a higher fatality rate.

Our current fatality rate (looking at the upper and lower bounds) put's us right in the middle of the world average.

While more testing is always better the current testing is sufficient enough to draw conclusions on where this is currently headed.

@GunnerShotgun
The fatality reports are from those confirmed by testing.
There are not people randomly dying from the illness who are not being tested.
The only number that is accurate in the math you so strongly want to point out is the number of deaths.
And those tested infected who are alive and recovered.

There are likely thousands more who are infected and are not being counted.

Which means the fatality rate could be considerably lower.

Your viewpoint without logic is why people need to think it through and not react to hype.

May 17, 2012
@GunnerShotgun
Your viewpoint without logic is why people need to think it through and not react to hype.

Viewpoint without logic?

The math simply suggests that even when you consider the outliers and assume a range for the case fatality rate that the testing in the U.S. has been sufficient.

Jun 8, 2016
Viewpoint without logic?

The math simply suggests that even when you consider the outliers and assume a range for the case fatality rate that the testing in the U.S. has been sufficient.
The only way we could determine whether the subset of infected patients used in the US to determine death rate was representative of the statistics of the entire infected population is if somewhere a large number of people were tested at random, the negatives were thrown out and then the results from the rest were used to determine the probability of death. We could then compare the resulting statistics to those given for the subset used in the US.

The only thing that we can determine by seeing that the US has similar rates to other countries is that the subsets in each of those countries have similar statistical properties as the subset in the US (if you don't account for quality of care, etc).

Aug 2, 2019
Where did you hear that? Not true according to these numbers. For example Germany's mortality rate is 1/3 of South Korea's.

Germany is also not citing the virus as a cause of death if any there are any pre-existing ailments. Due to the fact that the virus is primarily kill people with underlying health conditions, their reported deaths due to the virus are very low.

Aug 2, 2019
You can disagree all you want the math is the math in the end. If what you were saying were true WE WOULD SEE THAT IN THE DATA AS A HIGHER FATALITY RATE in the U.S. Which we do not see.
Either I do not understand the meaning of the words you are using, or you do not understand the meaning of the words I am using.

Regardless of which of these is the case, there is little point in me engaging in this topic further with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06