Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2015
Thank you to @sluggers for reaching out to me. There were some key pieces of the conversation that I was missing and I took his post out of context.

I will just add this in @sluggers support ... just like looking up a rule in the rule book — cite your sources and make sure they are reliable before you post something. The lack of reliable information is what has created the void that people are filling with fear and panic.

1584942069074.jpeg

Aug 2, 2019
People pushing "Not enough testing" aren't understanding the current math. Not enough testing would not only show up as a low number of reported cases BUT ALSO as a higher fatality rate.

Our current fatality rate (looking at the upper and lower bounds) put's us right in the middle of the world average.

While more testing is always better the current testing is sufficient enough to draw conclusions on where this is currently headed.
I would suggest we would see perhaps an overall higher number of fatalities with more testing, but a lower mortality rate. South Korea had the most comprehensive testing of any nation, and their mortality rate is the lowest.

To be clear, I'm looking at the "rate" as a percentage of overall cases that result in death. Not as is deaths per day.

Jun 8, 2016
Right, they are selecting a subset of the entire population of infected patients, e.g. those who were tested. How accurate the mortality rate (e.g. probability of death) is depends on how well this subset represents (statistically) the entire population. At the moment, with limited testing, this subset will likely be biased towards the most sick patients and hence yes the mortality rate will likely be higher than if the entire population was tested.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
As statistic that is troubling and not well explained (anywhere that I can find) is the resolved case fatality rate at worldometers

This number currently stands at 13% and has been steadily climbing over the last week (was 9% when I first looked at it). It may have to do with which patients are declared “recovered”... maybe it is only those that were admitted and then are discharged... and I think there is variation in how these categories are reported, but the trend bothers me. It doesn’t make sense. It might imply that over time more people getting admitted to hospitals are having bad outcomes, suggesting that instead of experience improving our ability to treat, instead exhaustion (of people and resources) is reducing our level of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
As statistic that is troubling and not well explained (anywhere that I can find) is the resolved case fatality rate at worldometers

This number currently stands at 13% and has been steadily climbing over the last week (was 9% when I first looked at it). It may have to do with which patients are declared “recovered”... maybe it is only those that were admitted and then are discharged... and I think there is variation in how these categories are reported, but the trend bothers me. It doesn’t make sense. It might imply that over time more people getting admitted to hospitals are having bad outcomes, suggesting that instead of experience improving our ability to treat, instead exhaustion (of people and resources) is reducing our level of success.

Here is my theory on that. The timeframe is short e.g. things have only been tracked for a week and half to two weeks here in the US. Most patients take longer to recover than that (in order for the case to be considered "resolved") but you can certainly die in that time frame (in which the case is also "resolved").

Oct 2, 2017

I'm not real good at the math, but my guess is because the recovery rate takes time. and the amount of new cases is more than recovered?

Oct 2, 2017
Here is my theory on that. The timeframe is short e.g. things have only been tracked for a week and half to two weeks here in the US. Most patients take longer to recover than that (in order for the case to be considered "resolved") but you can certainly die in that time frame (in which the case is also "resolved").

Beat me to it @pattar, you posted as I was typing.

Aug 2, 2019

The statistic that I find encouraging is that worldwide the percentage of active cases that are serious or critical has gone down.

It is currently at 5% vs 22% just 30 days ago, and the actual hard number worldwide of serious or critical cases has gone down, despite the number of active cases going from 80,000 to 335,000.

Aug 2, 2019
Yesterday

Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:
Recovered:
ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
211,722 (95%)
in Mild Condition

10,620 (5%)
Serious or Critical