Confessions of a radar gun addict, or: How fast do 12U pitchers really throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
DD just finished her 12U tournament season here in the northeast. She is an 00 playing on a 99 team and was the third pitcher. During lulls between pool games I came to terms with the fact that I love measuring the speeds of pitched softballs, DD's or others. So I spent a good amount of time wandering from game to game with my trusted Bushnell and clocked many of the opposing pitchers in clandestine fashion (unless the dad saw me and joined in for verification of the 65MPH change-up she was throwing). Here are my top-secret findings:

The two hardest throwing pitchers I saw were 54-56 They shut down the opposition. Then there were a few in the 50-53 range who were very successful. Most of the pitchers I saw throw 44-48, and many of them get rocked by better hitting teams. Some of the weaker teams had pitchers throwing 40-42 and they didn't fare very well.

Of course, some pitchers had better change-ups than others and some had (alleged) movement pitches, but at this level I found that speed was the most important factor in effectiveness.

And to address any question about the accuracy of the Bushnell, I got pulled over on the way to one of the tourneys and the officer let my DD gun the oncoming cars to check it against his $3000 gun. 1 MPH difference either way, tops (let off with a warning).

Also, I understand that this is much different than I would find in FLA or CA where girls start doing IR drills in the crib.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The two hardest throwing pitchers I saw were 54-56 They shut down the opposition. Then there were a few in the 50-53 range who were very successful. Most of the pitchers I saw throw 44-48, and many of them get rocked by better hitting teams. Some of the weaker teams had pitchers throwing 40-42 and they didn't fare very well.

What you are describing is what I'd expect to find at tournaments w/ a lot of A-level teams. By A-level, I don't necessarily mean a round-robin of the best 4 teams in the state, where you might have several 50+ pitchers, but a wider group of teams that can play with most anybody on a given day. Most pitchers that I see at 12U (B+ to A-level) throw 44-48 in games. We clocked one this weekend against us who hit 55 mph multiple times, averaged about 53 mph, and she was formidable. With a tad more command, she's be more than formidable. Wish she was ours. :) There are a lot of dads and coaches claiming their kids throw 53-mph who don't throw as hard is this girl, imho.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Pretty good assessment. 12U is that last power age, IMO. Seems like the pitching is ahead of the batting curve. 14U starts the era of change, the power pitchers either fade or include some good movement pitches to survive.

From 10U to last year of 14U I gunned anyone with a ball in their hand. I too was obsessed with speed, because it pretty much meant the difference in a win or loss. In the past 2 years I bet I haven't gunned 3-4 pitchers, the speed in HS or 16U and above means very little now. It's all about movement and mixing the speeds/spots.

Jul 26, 2010
Do you think their success was a result of their speed or do you think their speed is the result of their success practicing?

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Some have natural speed, some get it earlier than others.

You can't take a pitcher throwing 45mph with correct mechanics, and "practice" her into throwing 65. I know girls who MUST pitch 4-5 days a week or they lose control, I also know some who pitch once a week and are as sharp as they can get.

My 2 cents.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
And to address any question about the accuracy of the Bushnell, I got pulled over on the way to one of the tourneys and the officer let my DD gun the oncoming cars to check it against his $3000 gun. 1 MPH difference either way, tops (let off with a warning).

Nice one! Did you offer him a beer too:cool:?

May 18, 2009
I heard from a coach in the Vegas tourney last week there was a 13 hitting 65 on a 16U team. Said she was the best pitcher in the tournament.

My experience is 45-52 at 12U. 14's tend to be 48-54. 16's 52-62. Average speeds. I see a lot of pitchers and most tend to top out in the mid to upper 50's.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
what was the name of the tournament?

i meant the 12u tournament in the northeast?

check your messages

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck