Glove Radar vs Radar Gun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've been using the glove radar (GR) for the past 6 mos or so. I find it to be a good tool to give you trends, ie- if she started out consistently throwing 45 mph (per the GR) and now she's consistently throwing 50mph, its safe to say she's throwing 5 mph faster than when she started. I find the individual readings are kind of tempermental in that the readings can be affected greatly by how i receive the pitch, often not reading at all.

In the literature that comes with it, they say you can add 5 mph to get the speed of the pitch as it leaves the pitchers hand. This is a significant difference in speed.

Does anyone know:
- if adding 5 mph to the readings provides an accurate speed or is 2 mph (or zero) more realistic?
- how do the GR readings compare with a radar gun?

Often after she's been throwing for awhile, we'll use the GR and see how fast she can throw. she'll keep trying to beat her previous speeds and it's kind of a fun exercise competing against herself. I'm just thinking it would be good to know what the actual speeds shes throwing are.

Earlier this winter her PC put the gun on a few pitches and the readings were at the higher end of the GR readings, but I did not have the opportunity to use both at the same time to compare results.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
Obbay, u are right on the inconsistency. The glove radar used to drive me crazy because when my dd would really zip one, it wouldn't get the reading. I use it now basically to judge relative speed between pitches. Now for accuracy, I think the manual says u can add one mph for every 6/7 feet in throwing distance - do not hang your hat on it though. I had it side by side a juggs and the juggs had dd from +11 to +7 from 43 feet so the glove radar was kind of all over the place.

I would love to hear from someone who can make it read consistently.

Apr 28, 2014
I think the most important part of getting an accurate reading comes from how and where the GloveRadar is mounted to the glove.
I had to change the position of the sensor on my glove 5 or 6 times before I landed on the right spot. Once you get the right spot then just follow the directions for adding MPH based on distance.
I use it more as a gauge for increases in speed, or decreases. My DD's speed was down 6 MPH one week and I learned that she was having a back issue as she was not throwing 100%.
I have tested our GloveRadar against our teams Jugs machine and it is very close.

Attachments

• 20150316_105056.jpg
    20150316_105056.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41
Oct 10, 2011
glove radar

Ours seems pretty accurate as long as you add the extra mph for distance as stated earlier. That point of course is at the release of the ball. You definitely need as little movement as possible when catching.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd