Confessions of a radar gun addict, or: How fast do 12U pitchers really throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
DD just finished her 12U tournament season here in the northeast.

The two hardest throwing pitchers I saw were 54-56 They shut down the opposition. Then there were a few in the 50-53 range who were very successful. Most of the pitchers I saw throw 44-48, and many of them get rocked by better hitting teams.

I hear those are average 10u numbers in Texas.

Oct 19, 2009
Some have natural speed, some get it earlier than others.

You can't take a pitcher throwing 45mph with correct mechanics, and "practice" her into throwing 65. I know girls who MUST pitch 4-5 days a week or they lose control, I also know some who pitch once a week and are as sharp as they can get.

My 2 cents.

Exactly, I’ve seen kids with natural speed and others who have to work on it. Then at some point as the hitters get better it takes more than speed to be successful. I see many parents and coaches concentrate on speed and brag daughter or student can throw XX miles an hour and you see them get rocked in a ball game because ball does not move.

Last tournament daughter comes to the fence and says I have no speed, I told her use your movement, hit coroners and keep them off balance by changing speed, which she did and had some good outings.

I could not pick up a flaw in her delivery, her coach with a slow motion video camera discovered when her arm was at the top of her delivery she was tensing her muscles to try and force the arm into more speed, instead of staying relaxed and having a good full arm circle and letting it happen. After correcting this problem the speed returned.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When DD was in 12u she was able to just beat teams with her fastball and occasional change up.Was able to just throw strikes right down the middle.(of course DD throws 70mph...not) She was faster then most pitchers at that age.Now first year at 14u DD starts the season throwing fastballs right down the middle for strikes. (throwing in the 51mph range).Well they would have been strikes if them darn girls wouldn't have hit them.At 14u most girls can and will hit the fastball down the middle.If they couldn't they wouldn't be playing anymore.Pitches down the middle are mistakes.Change of plans this season no more down the middle pitches.Start low work way up to strike zone.Higher pitches work way down.Work corners of plate more.Location,location and location.This will keep your DD on the mound untill she able to throw the 70mph fastball then its down the midle again.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
My 12u daughter threw/throws 48-49 mph. Well we became obsessed with speed when she hit 50 recently, then 51, then 52 last week. Well, we also discovered that she started to hop...not a good thing. After a couple of long lessons, some humility on all sides, we have corrected this issue. I'd take 47 mph...low and with movement over illegal :). In the words of Crash Davis, "Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic."

Hope to hit 53 this week. Ha!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD got gunned last week at 75 MPH, not only that but she got a certificate to prove her speed to her friends.

Too bad it was while driving down the highway, and the certificate costs $110. Thanks DD.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD got gunned last week at 75 MPH, not only that but she got a certificate to prove her speed to her friends.

Too bad it was while driving down the highway, and the certificate costs $110. Thanks DD.

You've brainwashed her into thinking that faster is better! Remind her that it applies to pitching, not driving (unless she's also a NASCAR protege)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves