College coaches at Showcases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
We keep hearing that coaches talk all the time about players. How much do they talk about players they are interested in? I would expect very little and try to keep it a secret. At one D1 camp she said most of her players were recommended from other college coaches. I'm assuming they must have been stronger programs that didn't have the need but recognized good talent. Any thoughts on this? What about showcases with smaller schools. I see a lot of coaches making notes on clip boards. Do they share the information?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of college softball coaches share information. They can only take so many players every year and I am sure it becomes an "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" situation. Now does that mean that Patrick Murphy and Tim Walton are going to sit next to each other at a showcase and discuss players.....probably not!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A lot of college softball coaches share information. They can only take so many players every year and I am sure it becomes an "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" situation. Now does that mean that Patrick Murphy and Tim Walton are going to sit next to each other at a showcase and discuss players.....probably not!

Absolutely as long as they aren't in direct competition.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Very true especially if they really like the kid. If they do not have the need they often will steer coaches to players and players to coaches. Had more than one coach say - I will probably regret this but you should talk to...

Dec 20, 2012
We keep hearing that coaches talk all the time about players. How much do they talk about players they are interested in? I would expect very little and try to keep it a secret. At one D1 camp she said most of her players were recommended from other college coaches. I'm assuming they must have been stronger programs that didn't have the need but recognized good talent. Any thoughts on this? What about showcases with smaller schools. I see a lot of coaches making notes on clip boards. Do they share the information?

Coaches work in fairly tight circles. One head coach could have been a volunteer assistant to another HC or played ball together or were assistants together. So there are relationships that run deep and wide and they help one another, no doubt.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Very true, and all the more reason to treat every coach with respect and professionalism.

At Pennsbury a few years ago, the camp was held indoors due to rain. The socializing and friendly chatter between the coaches was flowing.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Do you guys think most recruiting starts at 16u or 14u? When did it start for you all? The skills videos, emailing coaches etc? May not be the best thread for this but curious

Dec 20, 2012
Do you guys think most recruiting starts at 16u or 14u? When did it start for you all? The skills videos, emailing coaches etc? May not be the best thread for this but curious

Depends on the kid and what the kid, parents and team is doing to get her recruited. Dec/ Jan of sophomore year when we began working. Verbaled by Sept of jr year.

Mar 11, 2009
I have seen ASU and U of A head coaches in the same dugout watching a first year 14U club team play. Were they talking to each other at the time, no..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207