It's not what you know, it's WHO the coaches know.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So I (sort of) disagree with you and you come back with that? Nice.

West Coast was just an example, could have easily said Pacific Northwest/South/Upper Midwest/etc/etc

I told you the situation here in OK, unless you want to go to South East Central West Christian University in OK/KS/TX you are not going to get much help in the way of connections..
For some those "directional" schools will be their only chance to play in college. There is a place for everyone who wants to play. It may not be where you think you want to go.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is a big reason personal relationships can only take you so far. If you choose a TB team because the coach has a relationship with the coach at Big U, where does that leave you when Big U changes coaches? And college softball coach is a profession with high turnover.

Also, DD played for a big org with a director who has been around the sport forever and knows everyone. Mike Candrea is one of his longtime friends. Guess how many girls from the org went on to play at Arizona? Zero. Why? Because they simply don’t recruit in the Northeast.

I’m sure there are TB coaches out there who can pick up the phone and recommend a player to a big program and be taken seriously, but they’re few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This particular coach coached at Big U, got railroaded, then coached at D3 and now is an Asst Coach Big U. Coach called DD 6 days after she committed to him and told her that he is leaving. That's a bummer but that's okay since she committed to the school.

Jun 8, 2016
For some those "directional" schools will be their only chance to play in college. There is a place for everyone who wants to play. It may not be where you think you want to go.
Nothing wrong with those schools if that is where you want to go..never said there was. That said I am not sure I would want my kid picking a school because it is the only place they can play at in the same way I wouldn’t want them to pick a school because it was the only one which would leave them “debt free” when they graduate.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
In reality how many coaches out there have (real) connections across the country? Regionally sure and I am sure some in the top 10 to 15 orgs in the country do have such connections with some of the better D1 programs however DD's org is probably the top 1 or 2 in the State and maybe top 25-40 in the country but the odds of somebody from Tufts or Williams (as examples..) calling up the org head or a coach are between zero and zero...Heck I would be surprised if they would know where those schools are even located..
I know your response was a little tongue and cheek and your DD is still young but I have some great news for you. High academic softball recruiting is very national in scope. Look at the Ivy rosters in particular and you will see northeast kids are a huge minority but the NESCAC rosters also have significant non regional players as well.

IMO, Hlhaving just gone through it with my DD the 2 keys to recruiting at high academic schools are playing in the big national events (Colorado 4th of July, PGF or Alliance, Legacy, etc..) and attending their camps, preferably on campus but the on location ones attached to big national events will work also.

For example we are in NY but the Ivy my DD is committed to came to see her play at 4 tournaments in GA, AL, TN, CO. So we had to get on a plane to get seen by the schools in our region. She was able to attend camps on campus at all of her target schools which is one benefit of being close.

Jun 8, 2016
I know your response was a little tongue and cheek and your DD is still young but I have some great news for you. High academic softball recruiting is very national in scope. Look at the Ivy rosters in particular and you will see northeast kids are a huge minority but the NESCAC rosters also have significant non regional players as well.

IMO, Hlhaving just gone through it with my DD the 2 keys to recruiting at high academic schools are playing in the big national events (Colorado 4th of July, PGF or Alliance, Legacy, etc..) and attending their camps, preferably on campus but the on location ones attached to big national events will work also.

For example we are in NY but the Ivy my DD is committed to came to see her play at 4 tournaments in GA, AL, TN, CO. So we had to get on a plane to get seen by the schools in our region. She was able to attend camps on campus at all of her target schools which is one benefit of being close.
Yeah I know the recruiting is National..your keys to getting recruited were what I said most will need to do..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
btw, this forum is worth its money in gold. It's totally free and available to all. Most won't come here but those that do are rewarded with great knowledge. There is so much experience shared in a fun, serious, and totally fun way that most of us would never be have the opportunity at the field during long practices, games and tourneys.

Jun 8, 2016
btw, this forum is worth its money in gold. It's totally free and available to all. Most won't come here but those that do are rewarded with great knowledge. There is so much experience shared in a fun, serious, and totally fun way that most of us would never be have the opportunity at the field during long practices, games and tourneys.
I see what you did there..writing something I cannot disagree with. Well played ;)

Nov 18, 2013
Every kids journey is different. DD attended countless camps, almost always got in the group of the recruits talked to afterwards. Two different travel coaches played no role in getting her leads. Another travel coach she met when he recruited her to play with his team out of Kansas City got her multiple leads and she never even played for him. He was just a super nice guy with lots of connections.

Two other girls from that 14U team had similar stories. Noticed at Nationals, went to multiple camps and got offers that travel coach had no part in. A fourth got her break when a college coach was recruiting the first three. It pays to be on teams with other high caliber players. I should add DD was the #2 pitcher on this team. She benefited a LOT by all the looks our #1 got.

The fifth from this team that went D1 found the school she wanted to go to and told the coach I’m coming here and I want to play for you. It helped that she had the grades where coach didn’t need to use any athletic money for her. Grades open more doors and than a travel coach or program.

A good travel coach can open doors, but don’t think for a second you can’t play D1 or any other level if you’re not on the “right” travel program. One thing funny about that old 14U team. Four of the five went on to play for national travel programs. Birmingham Bolts, Wichita Mustangs, EC Bullets and GA Force. All took credit for getting them in college, but all had already verballed from local programs before they got there. Looks can be deceiving.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A good travel coach can open doors, but don’t think for a second you can’t play D1 or any other level if you’re not on the “right” travel program. One thing funny about that old 14U team. Four of the five went on to play for national travel programs. Birmingham Bolts, Wichita Mustangs, EC Bullets and GA Force. All took credit for getting them in college, but all had already verballed from local programs before they got there. Looks can be deceiving.
I want to make sure I make the right point. You don't have to play for the #1 team in your area to get recruited to D1 programs. There are lots of programs that have the connections with these college coaches that aren't making the most noise but they have been around doing the it the right way doing it for the right reasons not making $$$$. I met the Wichita Mustangs director in a random hotel lobby in Colorado that helped me see the way and much of what I espouse comes from that experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi