It's not what you know, it's WHO the coaches know.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is how recruiting happens on the down low. D1 College coach calls up TB coach and says, what 2023's do you have? He mentions my friend's kid and describes her. Coach is interested and says to send her to one of their upcoming camps. Kid has never sent any communications to that program but is intrigued. Kid goes to camp with 80 players in attendance and she is put in Group 1 which is 10 players. Players start warm up and stations. Dad loses sight of Group 1 for a while. They come back and dad later finds out that group went on the campus tour. Coach approaches kid and says, Looking forward to see you pitch. Kid does her thing and at the end of the camp, the coach says your TB coach told me about you and everything he said is spot on. We want to see you play and will be at A, B, C tourneys this fall. Kid says she loves the campus and dad is pleasantly surprised at the campus and surrounding town. Now she needs to perform well when it counts.

People seem to say it doesn't matter which team you play on. Coaches conncections do matter. When you go to these camps, the coaches better know who you are before you step foot on campus especially for most of these D1 programs. If you aren't in the loop, you aren't in the loop! Get in the loop!

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
And to tie this in to another recent thread, the connections these travel ball coaches have with college coaches is the reason why parents and players put up with bad travel coach behaviors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
And beware, despite what they may tell you not every TB Coach is part of this "inner circle" and their relationships aren't what you might be led to believe.

Jun 8, 2016
In reality how many coaches out there have (real) connections across the country? Regionally sure and I am sure some in the top 10 to 15 orgs in the country do have such connections with some of the better D1 programs however DD's org is probably the top 1 or 2 in the State and maybe top 25-40 in the country but the odds of somebody from Tufts or Williams (as examples..) calling up the org head or a coach are between zero and zero...Heck I would be surprised if they would know where those schools are even located..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And beware, despite what they may tell you not every TB Coach is part of this "inner circle" and their relationships aren't what you might be led to believe.
This is true! The program that this kid was in previously is a very large well know organization but she wasn't on THE team with the right coaches with the connections for her college goals. Even though the team has the right name across the chest doesn't really mean anything unless the recruiting coordinator and the coach are working for you.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In reality how many coaches out there have (real) connections across the country? Regionally sure and I am sure some in the top 10 to 15 orgs in the country do have such connections with some of the better D1 programs however DD's org is probably the top 1 or 2 in the State and maybe top 25 in the country but the odds of somebody from Tufts or Williams calling up the org head/coach are between zero and zero...
DD's former team had 2 kids go to UPenn and another player just graduated from there and another went to Harvard. Our team attracted Ivy type kids and our coach had direct line with those coaches. Didn't hurt that one of recruiting coordinators daughter used to coach at Dartmouth then Stanford. Weird that you mention Williams, I am connected via LinkedIn with that coach. She's the one we reached out to me a few years ago.

Sep 19, 2018
but the odds of somebody from Tufts or Williams (as examples..) calling up the org head or a coach are between zero and zero...Heck I would be surprised if they would know where those schools are even located..
My dd's org has sent 3 girls to tufts in the last few years.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's former team had 2 kids go to UPenn and another player just graduated from there and another went to Harvard. Our team attracted Ivy type kids and our coach had direct line with those coaches. Didn't hurt that one of recruiting coordinators daughter used to coach at Dartmouth then Stanford. Weird that you mention Williams, I am connected via LinkedIn with that coach. She's the one we reached out to me a few years ago.
A kid from the Org went to Harvard a few years ago but that doesn't mean the org has a connection with all Ivies or NESCAC schools or any schools outside of the tornado belt. Having a coach with connections is great but for me first priority is to find a team which plays in tournaments where coaches will be able to see you play after you personally do your own HW and legwork.

Just like I don't leave my DD's skill development solely in the hands of her coaches, I am not going to leave her academic future in their hands either (not that you were saying this..I understood your point and agree that connections do help.. I am just being my usual contrary self.. :p )..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi