Coin Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
Let me ask this then in the past both USA/UTRIP have done coin tosses during pool and then higher seed home on brkt play. This year however USA ball in our area has chosen to do coin toss on brkt play until the championship game. What is the point of pool play if it doesn't get you some situational advantage for brkt? playing lower seeds, first rd bye (in some cases) and home team have always been the reward for doing well on Saturday. When you reach a certain level lower seed doesnt matter, some tournies all start first round same time, and now flipping for home team. Pretty much the only thing pool does is put you in a flighted brkt based on how tough your pool draw was.

I agree with what everyone is saying about getting an early lead because it does make a big different in opposing teams moral. However having said that home team has decided 6/8 tournaments we have played this year in the championship. That last at bat has always had the game on the line in close match ups.

Oct 4, 2018
I love being visitors. My reasons:

1. Our team is developmental. I like the girls getting a lot of at bats, and we all know the home team with a lead in the last inning doesn't get those at bats.

2. I like our girls having the experience of holding a lead in that last half inning.

3. I like trying to put up runs early.

4. If we're getting blown out, the game is over sooner as the other team doesn't need their last at bat.

5. #4 above can hold down the run differential as that's used for seeding. I don't care much about that, but some do.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
I love seeing the different perspectives here. For my particular 8u team the confidence of an early lead seems to improve their gameplay. Also have observed the opposing teams coaching staff frustration can be an advantage ;)

Jun 11, 2013
You should always be visitors in pool play if you can. If you lose a game at least the other team either has one less at bat or beats you by 1 so both run diff and RA are lower than if they got a full at bat. It also allows you to guarantee you get to bat in each inning. In bracket if you have have a stud pitcher and think you can shut them down I like to be home, but sadly I didn't have this very often.

The only exception to the pool game rule is if you happen to be playing a tournament where it's RA/innings as a tiebreaker. Then it's just a toss up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13