Coin Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
Would like to hear opinions on coin toss game theory. Say you have a really good offensive team with high avg contact hitters 7-8 deep. If I win the toss I always pick visitors. I feel the momentum of starting a game putting runs on the board is more effective than a late game rally.

Sep 23, 2018
Yes, we almost always select visitors. It gives us a chance to get 2-5 runs before the other team bats, and puts more pressure on them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Would like to hear opinions on coin toss game theory. Say you have a really good offensive team with high avg contact hitters 7-8 deep. If I win the toss I always pick visitors. I feel the momentum of starting a game putting runs on the board is more effective than a late game rally.

Choosing visitors works except when it doesn't.

May 29, 2019
Personally, I like the idea of putting 3-5 runs up against your opponent before they even get a bat in their hands. Anyone that has played the game knows how demoralizing that can be. So, I am NOT that parent that complains about how stupid the coach is for wanting to hit first. But as said above, both teams get their at-bats.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
If you have the horses on defense and the pitching, choosing home almost gives you a free "first" at-bat anyway.

Jun 8, 2016
A coin toss in sports is not applicable to game theory since the expected payoff depends on how the team plays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood