Second Varsity Start, First Complete Game Victory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD is Freshman playing varsity for her HS team. I posted earlier about her completely insane 7 inning relief appearance in her first varsity game. Since then, she has mostly pitched in relief, usually in the worst situations and been effective. She did get a spot start a couple weeks back and lost 2-1 in a complete game. As the season has gone on, she has challenged the starting pitcher, who has been inconsistent and struggled with command at times, leaving too many fat over the plate. After a relief appearance where my DD had to take over in the first inning already down 6 runs, the head coach decided to make my DD the starting pitcher.

She got the start last night. We won 4-1. Nearly pitched a shut out. Put up 0s for 6 innings and had no run support until the bottom of the 6th, when the team scored four as the opposing pitcher went the third time through our order. She came out and closed it down in the 7th, giving up one run that wasn’t earned. Pitched around trouble in just about every inning, but didn’t allow the other team to string together hits. Lots of weak contact. Probably 3 or 4 hard hit balls the whole game. 99 pitches through 7 innings.

Was super proud of her. The win also snapped a 4 game losing streak, where 3 of those games were decided by 1 run. Her teammates were thrilled. They love playing behind her because they believe she will make pitches and give them a chance to win and because my daughter also is very encouraging of her teammates and quick to celebrate them when they make a good play behind her. I know there will be tough days (and there have been many of those already), but last night was a great night!

Jun 3, 2021
Was super proud of her. The win also snapped a 4 game losing streak, where 3 of those games were decided by 1 run. Her teammates were thrilled. They love playing behind her because they believe she will make pitches and give them a chance to win and because my daughter also is very encouraging of her teammates and quick to celebrate them when they make a good play behind her. I know there will be tough days (and there have been many of those already), but last night was a great night!

This is music to my ears. We aren’t just developing softball players. We are developing future leaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles