Coaching behind the backstop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
BTW Cleveland/ Ashtabula are is expecting up to 6" of snow by afternoon. Youngstown airport had 3" this morning.

Ya gotta love living by the lake! No snow down the road in Columbus.

A few years ago I had to drive up to Cleveland (Brookpark) on business. No snow the first 100 miles heading north. I get to Cleveland and they have about 8" on the ground. That night, they got what was, at the time, a record 24 hour snowfall of 18" (that record has since been broken). During the next few days they got about another foot, 3"-4" at a time.

The day I left they had nearly three feet of snow on the ground. But by the time I headed about 25 miles south on I-71 there was nothing. No accumulation and just a few light flurries. Very strange!

Apr 25, 2010
I need to upgrade from my old 6 channel radio control I took out of my model airplane. Can anyone recommend any brand names for the chip and app? BTW Cleveland/ Ashtabula are is expecting up to 6" of snow by afternoon. Youngstown airport had 3" this morning.

Thankfully, we barely got a dusting and I'm in Ashtabula County about 1/2 mile from the lake. You yahoos in Youngstown got way more than we did....lol.

Apr 25, 2010
Those of you near Erie are painfully close to me. I am 1/2 hour east of Erie! Maybe we will come across each other during the season.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am so mad Ken beat me to it. Obviously the problem with calling pitches from behind the backstop is your obstructing the pitchers view of her Dad who is really calling the game anyway. :)

As a coach over the years I have had to tell several dad's that if they didn't stop hanging on the backstop jawing at their daughter that I was going to pull the kid so they could discuss it face to face.

I like that one! I'll have to remember it.

A few years ago I inherited a couple of girls who had a habit of leaving the dugout during games to be with their dads. I told everyone at the beginning of the season if you leave the dugout to sit with your parents I will make sure you have plenty of time to continue doing so.

Apr 1, 2010
DD should talk to pitcher. Pitcher can still call her own game and still let C know what is coming. An easy way is for C to put down sign and P simply add or subtract based on glove movement on leg or some such thing. Would probably help out both P & C. just my $0.02.

That sounds like a great idea, Lou! I had been wondering if that pitcher could give DD signs, but then thought, no, they'd be out in the open and too easy for everyone else to pick up on.

Jul 1, 2010
I have a severe case of "Father of the Pitcher-induced Tourettes Syndrome". I used to regularly embarass and frustrate DD and DW with my outbursts.

Now, I sit next to my DW and text her on how bad/good things are. Every once in awhile, I look up at my daughter between pitches, smile, give a big thumbs up and immediately go back to texting.

I get a lot of very weird looks, but DD loves it! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1