Clues That The Scorebook Is Cooked

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
Other side of the coin: number nine hitter finally cranks one over the center fielders head (who was playing pretty shallow) for a triple. Coach's significant other scores it an error. When questioned by a media person sitting next to her asked "an error? really how is that an error?" the answer was "well in my opinion she should have been deeper then she could have made the catch. The kicker was the hitter was on the team she was scoring for. The only thing I can fathom was that she was trying to justify keeping the girl in the nine slot.

And that is a textbook example of a bad scoring decision. Judgment plays are not errors, and this one isn't necessarily even hers to make as I assume a coach positioned her shallow as opposed to normal depth. Even if he didn't and this is on the fielder, its a 3B.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Play softball? Of course not, we didn't have boy's fastpitch when I grew up. Play baseball? Yes. Had hart hit balls hit at me, dove for balls, tracked them down in the OF, etc. I'm fairly tough on fielders and have had some complaints that some errors should have been called hits, but I don't apologize for expecting that a player should be able to field what I believe most of us would consider a routine play. One parent of a 10U player who played up wasn't happy with some of the errors we (I'm not the only scorekeeper for us) ruled on, but I couldn't fairly evaluate her by considering her age. If your at a middle infield position in 12U, you have to make the plays an average 12U player would make. For your play, without seeing it, I have no idea how I would rule, but I do take the tough hops into consideration every time they happen. If it truly eats her up I'd be inclined to call it a hit.

As a coach, you can be "tough on fielders", but you shouldn't as a scorekeeper. A 10U isn't as developed as an older kid, and won't field as reliably as a 12U on what is the same size field that college players work on. Bigger ball...bigger and stronger hitters, etc. You should be at least scrupulously fair, and when there's any doubt, even lean towards generous...give the batter some credit for putting the ball into play. If enough people are disagreeing with your calls, perhaps you should re-calibrate.

May 1, 2018
As a coach, you can be "tough on fielders", but you shouldn't as a scorekeeper. A 10U isn't as developed as an older kid, and won't field as reliably as a 12U on what is the same size field that college players work on. Bigger ball...bigger and stronger hitters, etc. You should be at least scrupulously fair, and when there's any doubt, even lean towards generous...give the batter some credit for putting the ball into play. If enough people are disagreeing with your calls, perhaps you should re-calibrate.

I don't keep books for my team, all I know is that if my DD doesn't put a solid hit on the ball "that's an E". When she get's a good hit I give her credit but if she get's on base any other way I'm giving her hell. 10u BTW

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I don't keep books for my team, all I know is that if my DD doesn't put a solid hit on the ball "that's an E". When she get's a good hit I give her credit but if she get's on base any other way I'm giving her hell. 10u BTW

I would love to ride home with you after a tournament! Lol!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

May 1, 2018
My wife tells that to DD every game...”Don’t SUCK!”

Always gets a big smile.

Yeah I read some blog I really liked about that. It really means "everything that we have practice for the last 10 yrs, every swing thought and defensive suggestion that we have ever gone through put into play here. Live out your dreams and do your best" or something.... shortened to Don't suck.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Dude, she's 10. Relax. The road ahead is long. No matter what she does, compliment her, tell her how much you love to watch her play, and go get some ice cream. I would bet that no one wants to be successful at every at bat more than she does, but her desire for success shouldn't be because she is worried you will get upset.

May 1, 2018
Dude, she's 10. Relax. The road ahead is long. No matter what she does, compliment her, tell her how much you love to watch her play, and go get some ice cream. I would bet that no one wants to be successful at every at bat more than she does, but her desire for success shouldn't be because she is worried you will get upset.

Nah man I tease her. Not beating her down. Don't take it wrong. I'm hard on her, but only as much as to keep her competitive. I'll say "that's an E" the next one she will smoke and I'll say "fine I'll give you that one"

Jun 8, 2016
If your at a middle infield position in 12U, you have to make the plays an average 12U player would make. For your play, without seeing it, I have no idea how I would rule, but I do take the tough hops into consideration every time they happen. If it truly eats her up I'd be inclined to call it a hit.

While there are truly bad hops (although in softball I would expect less since most of the bad hops I remember getting in baseball were cause by the lip where the grass meets the ball) 90+% of what are considered bad hops by players are really balls in which the infielder, in particular MI, didn't use their feet correctly to dictate the hop. Next time you watch an exceptional MI just watch his/her feet..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06