PGF: For the love of all that is Holy, find another precious metal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The first team I heard of using platinum (Fury Platinum) was not to designate the level of talent, but to differentiate itself from the organization that they broke away from (TN FURY). Obviously, the logo was changed, but I assume they wanted to hold on to some of the prestige of the original Organization’s name. I’ve started to see more teams using platinum as a designation of talent like gold, elite, etc. I wonder if they are just copying an org name and have no idea why they use it.

Nov 29, 2009
How about some Unobtainium? Have to go to a different world to mine it.

I would be the Galactic Series Unobtainium division.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is an org here that named two of its teams at the 16U level "Premier." OK, one is a first year 16U team and one is a second year 16U team, but shouldn't there only be one "Premier" 16U team in an org? <scratching my head>
That takes the cake....yellow cake unibtanium.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, at least some organizations have degrees of excellence. You can be a prospect, futures, elite, gold, premium and ... Of course, get out the checkbook because each level of advancement cost. You might have a team from a higher designation lose to a team of lower designation but that will be corrected by a raid on the lower ranked team to put them in their place. Of course all of these levels have to play in the super de duper national tournaments. Who cares that they get destroyed? No one! The parents and players can say that they played in such and such alphabetical tournament in xxxx God knows where with 5 million college coaches in attendance. The parents will be upset at the money that they spent. There will be talk about changing teams during the tournament as parents sit and stew while their dd's team is embarrassed. Then they will go home, brag about where they played and have their child remain in that program.

Feb 15, 2017
Wouldn't anti matter be the costliest of all matter, so premier elite select anti matter would be the highest ranking team

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Well, at least some organizations have degrees of excellence. You can be a prospect, futures, elite, gold, premium and ... Of course, get out the checkbook because each level of advancement cost. You might have a team from a higher designation lose to a team of lower designation but that will be corrected by a raid on the lower ranked team to put them in their place. Of course all of these levels have to play in the super de duper national tournaments. Who cares that they get destroyed? No one! The parents and players can say that they played in such and such alphabetical tournament in xxxx God knows where with 5 million college coaches in attendance. The parents will be upset at the money that they spent. There will be talk about changing teams during the tournament as parents sit and stew while their dd's team is embarrassed. Then they will go home, brag about where they played and have their child remain in that program.

This could not be more true.

And at the end of the season, try the kid out for a more expensive team, a quicker way to go completely broke and be even more miserable so they can brag to the 5 people they think will care.

The flip side of the coin are the teams that travel 10 hours to a “national” with only 10 teams in it so they can “be national champions”.

Local team here is posting that they are “three time 2019 state champions”.

Jun 12, 2015

Then there's the other side. I feel like every team in GA is an "A" team now. Dear parents, if you play in a tournament labelled "A" by the sanction, but only B teams signed up, you're not actually playing A level, you're just labeling it that. Or saying "We played a competitive "A" schedule this year," when anyone can look at your Game Changer record and see exactly who they played. It's really entertaining.

Apr 16, 2013
A little bit of a side note to all this now that the discussion has veered this way. Why do average to above average teams spend a small fortune travelling the country? I'm pretty thankful for the team my DD just joined. The "national" team of the org is the 16u team. She joined the 18u team. I found out the leader of the org asked if they'd like to be national. Coach said "nope" and I wouldn't have joined had he said yes. If your DD is super elite and only wanting to go to the most competitive programs in the country, then I get it. We go to the best tournaments/showcases we can within about a 250 mile radius and that's probably pushing it. All the girls want to play in college and we're a good team, but no one desires to play at UCLA. We often play these teams that travel the country and only a few are what I'd call truly "elite". (Honestly, of what we've played I'd say only ONE was.) I know a few of the families of girls like this, and some are NOT well off. You're spending a near full year's tuition sending your daughter across the country every other weekend. It just baffles my mind.

Sorry to wreck your thread with real questions. :D So back on topic. To the person that mentioned "dark matter", I'd say no. @pattar could probably answer better, but I believe the universe is made up of just as much dark matter as it is regular matter. "Theoretically" anyways. You just don't see it or interact with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad