UMP is going to get the pitcher killed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2016
Remember we are also getting the info 2nd hand from the catcher. The ump might have said sarcastically (after one of the parents or coach complained), "that's right, I only call them right down the tube". We don't really have any context.

At the younger ages, I have had umps say to me before the game, "I am a pitchers ump and I would encourage your girls to swing the bat". I have no problem with this.

Nov 29, 2009
Does the OP want some cheese with his whine?

Pitchers have to adapt to the umpire's strikezone.
Telling a pitcher, "oh honey, it is not your fault" is about the worst thing you can do.

The strategy doesn't change...determine strike zone, pitch at the edge of zone.

Everything you said is correct. However, I know you've seen it as have I. There are umpires who should not be let behind plate under any circumstances. The umpire in the OP who told the catcher anything not down the middle was going to be called a ball has no place in the game if they are ignoring the rules of the game.

Dec 11, 2010
Sluggers, your personal philosophy is not weird or even unusual. Softball is a particularly unforgiving environment for players and parents who blame other people.

I like your list of successful approaches. My beef is umpires that are making up their own rules like Marriard said. And if a ball has to be completely on the plate, a full ball above the knee etc. I bet you would agree that isn’t much of an edge to the zone.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At the younger ages, I have had umps say to me before the game, "I am a pitchers ump and I would encourage your girls to swing the bat". I have no problem with this.

You might not have an issue - but as an umpire I have a real issue here.

You don't discuss your zone ever - especially not pre-game. You have now set yourself up be setting an expectation that may or not be achievable or even appropriate for the game in front of you. You get a pitch just off late in a tight game and you call it a ball and now everyone is mad at you because you set up the expectation that this is a strike pre-game.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Strike3, I've got this weird personal philosophy I try to teach the kids: They are in control of their own lives and their own destiny. They are responsible for their successes or failures...not the umpires, not the coaches, and not the parents. Ultimately, they have have the ball (or life) in their own hands.

I have never said, "Oh honey, it is not your fault" to my kids about anything...sports, school, traffic accidents, traffic tickets, overdrawn bank accounts, love problems, bosses, etc. Parents who blame the umpire or the fielders or the the field or the coach create an "out" for the pitcher--a ready made excuse. I.e., "I didn't pitch poorly. It was the weather/field/umpire/defense/coach."

A pitcher has to take the situation as it is and make the best of it. In this specific situation, the umpire called it the same for both teams. The umpire was fair. That is all the pitcher/coach/players/parents can ask for.

There have been games my DD pitched when the umpire had a low strike zone. My DD was pretty much unhittable with that umpire. Other umpire's had a "fist zone", as my DD calls them. In that case, she was hittable. In both situations, she was supposed to win the game.

Successful approaches:

1) There is always an edge to the umpire's strike zone.
2) Softball umpires are inconsistent.
3) Umpires always favor one location over other locations.
4) A pitcher can, if she is good enough, expand the umpire's strike zone. Good pitchers do it all the time.
5) Batters swing at pitches they think they can hit, not pitches that are "in the umpire's strike zone".
6) Changing speeds always works.
7) Breaking pitches are always effective.

Sluggers, thanks again for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate your comments and your posts over the years. I deleted my earlier post as it was less than constructive, off the OP topic, and my apologies for that.

With that said, I appreciate your philosophy you mention above I really do. But struggling to understand how it fits into this thread. Nowhere did anyone including me, the OP, mention making excuses for not having success on the rubber for those two games and telling the pitcher it is okay that the umpire was wrong, had a horrible zone, etc. etc.

This thread was simply about 2 things. #1 An umpire creating his own zone, which is different that what is in the rulebook, and telling the catcher what his zone was (down the middle). The strike zone is in the rulebook and not subjective or up for interpretation although we see it every day.
But more importantly #2. How does a pitcher win when faced with this situation. Both to keep her safe and to have success. I appreciate your 7 responses above and exactly what I was looking for. We will likely have these umpires again for more games and need a plan on what to do better when faced with this.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The zone is the zone. It is described in the rulebook. Why do these goobers take it upon themselves to change the rules of the game and then say it out loud that they are doing it? Why wouldn’t an umpire at least attempt to call the zone as described?

Had an umpire tell our catcher last summer “I don’t like anything above the belt.” Really? Who do you think you are? Why would you say that?

A perfect example of why you NEVER talk about your zone. Now even if you want to call above the belt you can't... or if you do coaches are going to be all over you. Idiot.

There was an article recently where they were talking about 'automatic strike zones' which they were testing out in one of the more obscure minor independent pro leagues in baseball. They used the 'book' strike zone and it took awhile for the batters to adjust to the high strike call. But they did adjust.

Dec 11, 2010
A perfect example of why you NEVER talk about your zone. Now even if you want to call above the belt you can't... or if you do coaches are going to be all over you. Idiot.

There was an article recently where they were talking about 'automatic strike zones' which they were testing out in one of the more obscure minor independent pro leagues in baseball. They used the 'book' strike zone and it took awhile for the batters to adjust to the high strike call. But they did adjust.

Even though I have had frustration with a few umps, I’d like to say I really enjoy most of them. And I’d hate to see the human element reduced despite a few umps I hope I never see again.

It’s interesting that you mention a book strike zone. According to one manufacturer of a strike zone management training aid, both pitchers and hitters perceive the zone as round not rectangular. I’m guessing that would mean umpires might too.

Nov 8, 2018
The ump
With a strike zone all over the place is just as bad or worse. A bad consistent strike zone can be dealt with. Ie changing speeds etc. an inconsistent strike zone puts the pitcher and hitters in a no win situation. You just never know what to expect. Now that is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk