Change in high school leaping law

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
It's going to be cool in a couple of years when the pitching circle is almost as far back as 2nd base.

Jan 28, 2017
I agree with this right here. I believe the field umpire is the one who usually calls an illegal pitch, correct? Well, let's say there's a runner on first base. The umpire is now responsible for watching the pitcher, the runner, to see if they leave early, and the batter's swing. That's a lot of balls to juggle and get everything right.

As a parent observer on the sideline, I can focus on what I want. If I think the girl is pitching illegally, I will watch her like a hawk, but I will miss it when the runner leaves early.

Do I think this rule change helps anyone? Maybe the girls who've gotten away with it for years. But do they gain an advantage because they leap? I can't answer that question. All it will do is shift the focus from leaping to a true crow hop and replant.
Not always but normally 1/2 the time in our area the field umpire is the least experienced umpire and doesn't want to make a call.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks to all taking time to answer what changes would be made to practices(training) if any. I teach girls to throw and honestly want to know what I need to change, what problems will come, etc… I admit that I have griped for years about leapers and base umps(with bases empty) that simply wouldn’t do their job. And no, I did not care about game continuity or hurt feelings. Cheat at my poker table and see how that goes for ya. I have said for years ‘make it legal, or do your job and call it’. Now it’s legal and I’m not sure what comes next or what I need to change.
Dragging your toe when trying to powerfully push your body forward is not natural or instinctive move. So now your job is easier. Just tell them to push off as hard as they can and leap for joy.

May 29, 2015
Move the pitcher’s plate back, bases back, maybe use a smaller ball. We could be on to something!

Add a couple of hoops on the foul poles, hurdles on the basepaths … we’re getting somewhere! :p

Seriously though, it isn’t an effort to make the game more baseball-like. It is a response to the size and power of the modern athletes and the technological improvements compared to those even just 20-30 years ago.

Jun 8, 2016
Seriously though, it isn’t an effort to make the game more baseball-like. It is a response to the size and power of the modern athletes and the technological improvements compared to those even just 20-30 years ago.
What problem are we trying to solve with this?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The Great Park in Irvine,CA has fence at 215 or 220 feet and 8 or 9 foot high fences. Great place to play. No ground rule doubles and triples more common. No accidental HRs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi