Change in high school leaping law

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2019
Oldest dd tells me nfhs changed 6-1-2c to allow leaping. Does this change anything pitching coaches will do in training sessions? If you coach pitching, what say you?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Unless the NCAA allows it, I wouldn't allow my daughter's pitching coach to teach it. It's similar to when they went with the start back a few years ago, yet USSSA allowed the step back.

Jan 22, 2011

Jan 28, 2017
For those too lazy to click on the link posted by @Dabears17, here's a screenshot of the proposed rule on leaping.

Also, we don't use NFHS rules in NY. We use USA. View attachment 28336
Just made a new rule for everyone to argue about. Crazy to me.

Also your state doesn't have to adopt the rule. In FL they didn't adopt the start back rule in HS until a year after the NFHS did but use NFHS rules.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...If you coach pitching, what say you?
I won't be changing much. I put more emphasis on getting the leading leg out there and under control to provide strong front side resistance. I teach as light as possible on the back leg following behind. The only change I can see is not pointing out the back foot lifting off the ground as a bad thing.
My concern is if the leap is actively taught, we're going to have more girls focusing on accomplishing the leap every pitch, increasing the occurrences of landing on a locked leg, leading to more knee and hip injuries.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Oldest dd tells me nfhs changed 6-1-2c to allow leaping. Does this change anything pitching coaches will do in training sessions? If you coach pitching, what say you?
I got a kick on how you called it a law in your title because it is like speeding. Speeding/leaping is against the letter of the law/rules. Cops/umpires see it frequently; some put a stop to it, some don't. The more egregious violators will be stopped. Bystanders see it happen, some say "good it's no big deal," some say "why are you allowing that?" Some speeders/leapers seem to never get stopped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi