Change in high school leaping law

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Ok, fine, whatever ... so can we re-implement advancing the runner on an illegal pitch then? We've been giving away the house on things that we have long said were illegal ... what are we giving the offense?

May 29, 2015
That happened a long time ago ...

Speculation: legal leaping legislation leads to longer lob lanes. In other words, how long before the pitcher's plate gets moved back another 2-3 feet?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That happened a long time ago ...
No shi*..I doubt this changes much in terms of the balance between offense and defense. On the other hand the amount of bitching about the war criminals leapers (assuming the NCAA adopts it at some point) that goes on here will probably go way down which is a win in my book. Then again the PPs may just turn their attention to slappers who are out of the box..not sure.

May 27, 2022
IMO,
1: this will lead to more pitchers replanting (either intentionally or un-intentionally) which is harder to call.
2: Pitcher will be launching the pitch closer to home (as TMIB commented) for which I don't believe there is any rule or limit for.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't think it have a big effect since a lot of pitchers do it already. The complaints will now shift to replanting, which is also very common but typically so minor that it is only detected using slo-mo video. In order to significantly take advantage of replanting most pitchers will have to make a major change in their mechanics. This change involves slowing down the arm circle or adding in a hesitation to account for the extra time the player spends in the air to get to the replant.

Dec 6, 2019
The complaints will now shift to replanting, which is also very common but typically so minor that it is only detected using slo-mo video.
The only people who think you need slo-mo video to see a replant are:
  1. Parents of crowhoppers
  2. Coaches of crowhoppers
  3. Umpires
Nobody else seems to have an issue with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi