Change in high school leaping law

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Definitely do not need slo-mo to see a replant. Very easy to detect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most easily detected by opposing coaches and parents.

I don't know, I'm questioning why I care. The game evolves. We try things and they work or they fail. My issue is that it feels as if these changes aren't necessary or even beneficial, they just make things easier from a behind-the-desk perspective. Less complaining about leaping, less complaining about umpires not calling it (though I agree the replant is going to be harder to call), less concern over amateur hobbyist pitching coaches not teaching proper mechanics ...

This was a change driven by two associations who do NOT have their vested interest in the women's fastpitch game. It was driven by two associations who write one rulebook for women and men, boys and girls, children ages 4 to 94. I called it before; I said USA and USSSA would force the hands of NFHS and NCAA because young pitchers will not be taught the way that those games required.

It feels like a city council getting tired of the complaints about people speeding through the neighborhood, so they just raise the speed limit.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Here's a video of Mike White critiquing a Men's pitcher. Keep in mind that crow hopping is illegal in Men's fastpitch also. If the women start doing this you will see a lot of complaints.

May 13, 2023

I don't know, I'm questioning why I care. The game evolves. We try things and they work or they fail. My issue is that it feels as if these changes aren't necessary or even beneficial, they just make things easier from a behind-the-desk perspective. Less complaining about leaping, less complaining about umpires not calling it (though I agree the replant is going to be harder to call), less concern over amateur hobbyist pitching coaches not teaching proper mechanics ...

This was a change driven by two associations who do NOT have their vested interest in the women's fastpitch game. It was driven by two associations who write one rulebook for women and men, boys and girls, children ages 4 to 94. I called it before; I said USA and USSSA would force the hands of NFHS and NCAA because young pitchers will not be taught the way that those games required.

It feels like a city council getting tired of the complaints about people speeding through the neighborhood, so they just raise the speed limit.
Good read, only thing i would add

...JUST HIT THE BALL.............😎

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree with this right here. I believe the field umpire is the one who usually calls an illegal pitch, correct? Well, let's say there's a runner on first base. The umpire is now responsible for watching the pitcher, the runner, to see if they leave early, and the batter's swing. That's a lot of balls to juggle and get everything right.

As a parent observer on the sideline, I can focus on what I want. If I think the girl is pitching illegally, I will watch her like a hawk, but I will miss it when the runner leaves early.

Do I think this rule change helps anyone? Maybe the girls who've gotten away with it for years. But do they gain an advantage because they leap? I can't answer that question. All it will do is shift the focus from leaping to a true crow hop and replant.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's a video of Mike White critiquing a Men's pitcher. Keep in mind that crow hopping is illegal in Men's fastpitch also. If the women start doing this you will see a lot of complaints.

I would be gassed after 10 pitches.. I would have to be a closer :ROFLMAO:

Jul 15, 2019
Thanks to all taking time to answer what changes would be made to practices(training) if any. I teach girls to throw and honestly want to know what I need to change, what problems will come, etc… I admit that I have griped for years about leapers and base umps(with bases empty) that simply wouldn’t do their job. And no, I did not care about game continuity or hurt feelings. Cheat at my poker table and see how that goes for ya. I have said for years ‘make it legal, or do your job and call it’. Now it’s legal and I’m not sure what comes next or what I need to change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi