Bushnell radar gun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Good morning all,
After reading the posts on the few speed and spin tracking options and deciding that none of them are 100%, has anyone used one of these type radar guns? Thanks to Java, my DD and I can read the spin so we are more concerned with measuring speed. Something that can be measured can then be improved, right? Thanks!

Jun 6, 2018
I will argue that Revfire still is the best. And yes you can improve on spin when you track and find things that work to improve it. The problem is the Original Revfire (still the best) were stopped being produced and Revfire 2 (app based) is very good but they only put out 1-2 batches a year and it usually is sold out within a couple of days.

Apr 16, 2013
It's "mostly" junk. It's only "ok" when you're perfectly in line with the pitch. It is also several MPH off the real speed. There's also the mental side of it. Anyone sees you pointing it at them, they know they're being "gunned". With something like the pocket radar, you could just be texting on your phone. ;) I know you're saying you only want to use it on your DD, but know you'll end up using it elsewhere!

Oct 4, 2018
We use a bushnell. At 10U it's just not worth it to me to spend anything more. I don't want her focused much on speed.

The bushnell is a great low-cost option to see trends and track performance. My DD has climbed from 39 to 45 over the last 9 months, but is back to 42 after a long 8-week break. It's nice to have a sense of what's going on. If the 45 is really 48, awesome. If it's really 42, we don't care.

Feb 18, 2014
The pocket radar is small, discrete, and in my opinion accurate. The integration with your phone gives it an ability that the Bushnell doesn't have.

Oct 4, 2018
The pocket radar is small, discrete, and in my opinion accurate. The integration with your phone gives it an ability that the Bushnell doesn't have.

If my daughter continues to pitch I'm sure I'll get a pocket radar eventually. What does integration with the phone provide?

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I will argue that Revfire still is the best. And yes you can improve on spin when you track and find things that work to improve it. The problem is the Original Revfire (still the best) were stopped being produced and Revfire 2 (app based) is very good but they only put out 1-2 batches a year and it usually is sold out within a couple of days.
I have a Revfire 2. it went from sometimes working to not working. Revfire Inc. went from replying to not replying nor does their website come up.

Jun 6, 2018
pocket radar is great all around as use it for exit speeds and hitting but if you just want something for pitching don't get it for that as you definitely want spin tracking as well as speed.

Mar 22, 2019
I've been using the Bushnell for two years to track my daughter's progress. I use it while I'm catching her and it is accurate within 1 or 2 m.p.h. compared to her pitching coaches pocket radar. Worth $80 in my opinion.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Bushnell is fine for a starter gun. I have one that is at least 10 years old, compared to my Pocket it is very close. I compared it to a Jugs several years ago with the same result, plus or minus 1 mph.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez