Pitching Radar Gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2019
Hi everyone. Amidst this pandemic chaos, we are thinking of getting a radar gun to clock the speed of our 10 yo pitcher. Can anyone recommend a good one that isn’t $300?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 4, 2018
We currently have the Bushnell, which we got for about $80. And my 10U girl kind of likes the "gun" type design, as it makes it seem more official when I'm pointing it her way. The Bushnell is very consistent, easy to use, and lets us track her progress. We only pull it out one session per month or so. Just to measure improvement/progress.

However, with our lockdown I'm seriously considering the pocket coach that comes with the video and speed together feature. But mostly that's because I'm bored and tend to spend money when I'm bored.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Talk to any pitching parent that’s bought the Bushnell and eventually they move up to the Pocket Radar. The accuracy is similiar, but it’s so much easier not lugging a big gun around. There’s times it’s nice to be discreet when you’re using it too. Some people get their panties in a bunch when you gun their kid or think you’re showing off when you gun you’re own.

Aug 15, 2019
Talk to any pitching parent that’s bought the Bushnell and eventually they move up to the Pocket Radar. The accuracy is similiar, but it’s so much easier not lugging a big gun around. There’s times it’s nice to be discreet when you’re using it too. Some people get their panties in a bunch when you gun their kid or think you’re showing off when you gun you’re own.
My husband really wants the Pocket Radar, but I was just trying to save a little $. 😆

Aug 15, 2019
We currently have the Bushnell, which we got for about $80. And my 10U girl kind of likes the "gun" type design, as it makes it seem more official when I'm pointing it her way. The Bushnell is very consistent, easy to use, and lets us track her progress. We only pull it out one session per month or so. Just to measure improvement/progress.

However, with our lockdown I'm seriously considering the pocket coach that comes with the video and speed together feature. But mostly that's because I'm bored and tend to spend money when I'm bored.
That is exactly what I was considering. Just debating if I want to splurge for the Pocket Radar. So expensive though. 🙄

Aug 15, 2019

I need to look into the pocket coach! I tend to spend money when bored too! 😆. How old is your kiddo?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Pocket Coach. It let's you be discreet. When I used to gun pitchers with a Bushnell inevitably one of her parents would slide over and ask what she was throwing. When I said X it was always slower by several mph what she 'normally' threw. Parents are always disappointed, pitchers are typically slower in games than during a lesson when they are throwing for speed.

Apr 20, 2017
The smart ball coach pocket radar is a great training tool. It is more expensive but with all the savings right now from travel go ahead and splurge. Essentially if you have girl that are visual learners. It’s so nice to video and have speeds on video. It can show the difference in speed from mechanics both pitching and hitting. The smart coach is truly a training tool instead of just a lie detector.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I have had 3 Bushnells. I would get a Pocket radar if I had it to do over again.

The Bushnells give the same accuracy, but the biggest problem is they dont always give a reading. Different fencing, distances etc will cause problems. Also mine will work with nothing but Coppertop batteries. My son threw 200mph once with Chinese batteries.

If you get a Bushnell, you must get the one that does min/max speed - the two versions look and cost about the same - so be careful. This version will give you release and glove speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez