Pitching Radar Gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Never been a radar guy and now more than ever is the reason why. Name the 14-16U girl in town USA posting a picture of inflated number off anywhere between 8-10 MPH their true speed to gain college attention. Colleges are not fooled by the numbers and a big turnoff once the see it live. Pitching coaches are known to juice it up a little bit to keep you coming back for more.

I'm curious, how do you "Juice up" the numbers on a pocket radar?

Oct 4, 2018
I'm curious, how do you "Juice up" the numbers on a pocket radar?

Agreed.

Also, if you have a pitching coach that gives you false readings on a radar, I'm not even sure what to say. I don't know that that exists, or how it happens. Do they just not show you the gun and tell you a higher speed?

Jun 27, 2021
Agreed.

Also, if you have a pitching coach that gives you false readings on a radar, I'm not even sure what to say. I don't know that that exists, or how it happens. Do they just not show you the gun and tell you a higher speed?
Two parts on this one. In regards to Pocket Radar I'll go off experience in watching, observing over the last few years and even now. Technology is easy to use, claims to be accurate etc. But like most technology is prone to variance or user error. Far too many proud parent videos out there of a kid throwing XYZ high number to only have average or better than average speed for the designated age group. Personally I believe the PR is preset a little higher due to the volume of girls now throwing 60+MPH in 14U-16U but only cracking low to mid 50's in reality. Hard to comprehend a kids PR number vs. their K, ERA, H if they don't match up.

Agreed on the second part, but to believe it doesn't happen to keep kids/parents coming back is naïve. Especially in the early years of 12U, if you can pump a few extra MPH in it keeps the lesson booked. Not all coaches do it, just like not all pitchers/families get wrapped up in numbers. We had a coach in this area who was notorious for having a magic bushnell 50MPH gun for beginners. And yes, they showed them.

May 16, 2016
Personally I believe the PR is preset a little higher due to the volume of girls now throwing 60+MPH in 14U-16U but only cracking low to mid 50's in reality.
You'd be wrong. I've stood next to people using more expensive guns... Stalker, Jugs, and almost always the Pocket Radar is within 1 mph (over/under) of the other guns, and not necessarily higher. And how are you judging 14/16U pitchers "only cracking low to mid 50's?" Eyedar?

Throwing a Personal Record in a lesson, where you are only focused on throwing it as hard as possible, is not the same as throwing movement pitches in a game. So, it is completely plausible that a 16u hit 64mph with a fastball in a lesson, when she wasn't concerned about hitting a corner, and also throws a 57 mph curveball in a game. You see it all the time in college games... pitcher is living in the 59to63 mph range, and you think, oh, she's not throwing that hard, then she unleashes a 68-70 mph fast ball.

Tweeting a Personal Records is just that a record, if you think that's a statement that they are always throwing at that speed in games, well, that's on you my friend.

And that is what makes the Smart Coach Pocket Radar worth the extra $100 over the Ball Coach. Being able to video your pitching session, with the speed overlay, removes doubt that the speed was somehow being manipulated.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017
PA
Anyone ever had to get a PR recalibrated? Is that a thing?

I've had mine for 4-5 years now, and recently I had some numbers pop up that I felt may be off, based on previous numbers from the same kid.

Jun 27, 2021
You'd be wrong. I've stood next to people using more expensive guns... Stalker, Jugs, and almost always the Pocket Radar is within 1 mph (over/under) of the other guns, and not necessarily higher. And how are you judging 14/16U pitchers "only cracking low to mid 50's?" Eyedar?

Throwing a Personal Record in a lesson, where you are only focused on throwing it as hard as possible, is not the same as throwing movement pitches in a game. So, it is completely plausible that a 16u hit 64mph with a fastball in a lesson, when she wasn't concerned about hitting a corner, and also throws a 57 mph curveball in a game. You see it all the time in college games... pitcher is living in the 59to63 mph range, and you think, oh, she's not throwing that hard, then she unleashes a 68-70 mph fast ball.

Tweeting a Personal Records is just that a record, if you think that's a statement that they are always throwing at that speed in games, well, that's on you my friend.

And that is what makes the Smart Coach Pocket Radar worth the extra $100 over the Ball Coach. Being able to video your pitching session, with the speed overlay, removes As doubt that the speed was somehow being manipulated.
If you've been around the game long enough the "eyedar" as you stated is evident. One of the things to observe first is K to hit ratio, ERA, team, accolades both team and personal etc. Simple observations put clocked numbers into question.

Last night I pulled up Monica Abbott pitching against UCLA in the College World Series against UCLA and 68 MPH is what she dealing, in 2006 one of the greatest pitchers of all time at 6'3 in college was only popping 68 MPH. There are very few in the travel ball that are touching that number or sniffing it across the country on the elite teams but yet many less developed or less God given are Pocket Radar posing.

You're correct in posting personal records as a highest, those need to be taken into consideration.... was it a light ball, was it a walk up or was it a light ball walk up combo. Too many times parents/coaches put too much value on the speed at any age. In the end the number boasted gets exposed or validated.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If you've been around the game long enough the "eyedar" as you stated is evident.

Having used radar guns at hundreds of games, I can tell you that I never saw a person have correct 'eyedar'. They had no idea how fast balls are traveling. Most people are fooled by the glove pop, or the lack of one, which has no bearing on speed. Plus high pitches always seem faster than they are. etc. etc.

One of the things to observe first is K to hit ratio, ERA, team, accolades both team and personal etc. Simple observations put clocked numbers into question.

You are confusing movement/placement with speed.

Finally, today's radar can't give a 'faster' reading. They all give readings out of the hand. The click -type Pocket Radars (not on auto) can give a lower reading, if you click it in the middle of the path from pitcher to plate.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Having used radar guns at hundreds of games, I can tell you that I never saw a person have correct 'eyedar'. They had no idea how fast balls are traveling. Most people are fooled by the glove pop, or the lack of one, which has no bearing on speed. Plus high pitches always seem faster than they are. etc. etc.

You are confusing movement/placement with speed.

Finally, today's radar can't give a 'faster' reading. They all give readings out of the hand. The click -type Pocket Radars (not on auto) can give a lower reading, if you click it in the middle of the path from pitcher to plate.
The statement of “eyedar” on my end was game production not matching the advertised results. Not sure I’m confusing anything in regards to movements, height, release etc. Those were never mentioned in any of my previous responses.

Jan 6, 2018
I use a tripod and a battery pack so my PR Smart Coach is very consistent for all my students. My favorite is the 10-25 pitch average on the fastball. That helps to eliminate variance or anomaly “records” instead getting them to come back and see their progress using proper mechanics and getting stronger. Yes, they like when they hit new record speeds, and of course we celebrate it, but it’s certainly not a “trick” to get their parents to bring them back. It’s just fun to see a lot of hard work pay off!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez