Bushnell radar gun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2019
I'm pretty sure that the Bushnell will only give you reading on things that are coming towards it not on objects moving away from it. That's one reason that I like the pocket radar better than Bushnell.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm pretty sure that the Bushnell will only give you reading on things that are coming towards it not on objects moving away from it. That's one reason that I like the pocket radar better than Bushnell.

Interesting, and probably correct.

I did jump behind the net (she was hitting into) and the Bushnell gave me a crappy reading on that too.

Said 18 mph when measuring from each side. Gonna hit a lot of dingers with an 18mph EV.

Apr 16, 2013
Our hitting instructor uses a pocket radar to measure exit velocity.

So yesterday I used the Bushnell in the exact same way to measure DD exit velocity. It didn't work. At all.
I know another user posted that the bushnell doesn't work with "away" vs "to". I think it's more about, again, being perfectly in line with the ball. I used to use the Bushnell from behind my DD as she pitched and it still worked. However, again, I was perfectly in line with the angle of her pitch. Also, I know the ball coach radar is far more suited to the small size of a ball. The regular "red" button is a general radar. When my son was motorcycle racing I'd use the Bushnell with very good effect, measuring his speed down the straight away both coming and going. Quite a difference between a motorcycle and a softball though!

Jul 13, 2019
When I said that I didn't think that the Bushnell didn't work on objects that were going away from it I was taking that knowledge from a video review that a scout did of the smart coach pocket radar and the one that the scouts use the Stalker radar gun. He said that the Stalker didn't work on objects going away from it. By the way the Stalker costs about $1200 and the smart coach pocket radar about $400.

Dec 11, 2010
When I said that I didn't think that the Bushnell didn't work on objects that were going away from it I was taking that knowledge from a video review that a scout did of the smart coach pocket radar and the one that the scouts use the Stalker radar gun. He said that the Stalker didn't work on objects going away from it. By the way the Stalker costs about $1200 and the smart coach pocket radar about $400.

Depends on the model. The $500 Stalker Sport tracks objects traveling either toward or away from the unit. The Stalker Pro is a “directional” radar. It also tracks moving objects toward or away from the unit. It can also be set to clock only objects traveling toward or away from the unit, which is the “directional” mode.

I just looked at the manuals for both. They are very good, the sections about proper set up and cosine angle correction are something everyone who hasn’t used a radar gun should look at.

It looks like both units have a cosine correction mode where the unit can be manually corrected if you can’t sit directly behind or in front of the moving object.

Jul 13, 2019
Thanks for the information. I didn't even know that Stalker made different models, once again thanks for the information. I guess one thing that I like about the Smart Coach Pocket radar is that it has an app that will allow you to videotape the hitting or pitching and it will show you the speed in the upper right hand corner.

Dec 11, 2010
Yep, the Stalker Pro does way more than most users know how to use correctly.

The Pocket Radar is excellent, accurate, and they have added some really nice features. I have a Ballcoach but wish I had the Smartcoach. That display feature would be awesome.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Couple features of the Smart Coach PR I enjoy are, it clips each and every pitch/swing and that you can plug in an external battery into it. Not to mention it holds its value (resale) when you are done. Each time I moved up Pocket Radars, I have had no problem selling the old one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez