Bushnell radar gun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
As has been almost "hinted" to here a few times, the big difference between the bushnell and the pocket radar is the "line". The bushnell is fine if you're perfectly in line with the pitch or hit. The pocket radar is better, IMO (as I have both) standing behind the fence and measuring the girl/boy pitching, Both will be off if you're holding it at 0 degrees and the ball is hit at 45 degrees or thrown at a different angle than straight.

There's also another BIG thing... resale value. Once you're done with it, the Bushnell will mostly be worthless. The pocket radar will sell easily. Maybe a moot point for some, but I know that my Bushnell will continue to rot at the bottom of a pile of baseballs while my pocket coach radar will sell within a day if I put it up for sale.

Have you done a side-by-side comparison? Do they give you the same reading? Is one showing faster/slower than the other?

Apr 16, 2013
Have you done a side-by-side comparison? Do they give you the same reading? Is one showing faster/slower than the other?
Side by side, yes. Again, it comes down to the angle you're recording at. With the pocket radar I grab some basic readings behind a fence against the opposing team very easily and "discreetly". With the bushnell, I better be pointing it like I've got a 44 and I'm hunting a wildebeest. :D If you're right behind the catcher (or are the pitcher) and you're pointing it right at the pitcher, it's fine. However, the more the angle the more "off" the bushnell is. Not to say the pocket radar isn't off at a 25 degree angle, but the bushnell is way off. (Way off as in 10% + and never the same reading when the ball is at an angle vs straight on.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks. I use it to clock my DD at home and I stand behind the net.

If you could be in the ideal position with both guns, would you get the same reading on each?

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks. I use it to clock my DD at home and I stand behind the net.

If you could be in the ideal position with both guns, would you get the same reading on each?
I found the Bushnell isn't as accurate as the pocket radar. However, it's still consistent. If you're just measuring your own DDs performance then it's all relative. You've just gotta make sure the pitch is coming right at the gun. Any amount of angle will change the response you get. Years back when my DD was pitching baseball, I'd get noticeably different readings if I was standing up gunning behind the net, vs catching and gunning at the same time. (I'd also not recommend catching with one hand and gunning with the other. Lesson learned. :D )

Nov 8, 2018
If my daughter continues to pitch I'm sure I'll get a pocket radar eventually. What does integration with the phone provide?

When put on auto it will send the info to the phone app so you don’t have to stand behind it to get the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2014
One thing to know about pocket radar is that it likes fully charged batteries. It can give funky results as the battery gets low. If you use rechargeable you need the high capacity. But that is another reason to get the newest version that plugs into an external pack. And get this cable for it.

It's a 90° plug that is reversible and it lessens the chance of breaking the port on the radar.

Jul 27, 2015
If my daughter continues to pitch I'm sure I'll get a pocket radar eventually. What does integration with the phone provide?
It would allow you to get your daughter's speed in the game without looking like a complete tool. (which I may or may not have been guilty of at some point)

Oct 4, 2018
It would allow you to get your daughter's speed in the game without looking like a complete tool. (which I may or may not have been guilty of at some point)

I've yet to even try to clock her during a game, as I agree I'd feel like a total tool putting a gun on a 10 year old. :p

But I sure am curious to know how her game speed compares to her "in the backyard" speed.

Jul 13, 2019
If you get the smart coach pocket radar you can take a video of the player hitting or throwing and then up in the corner it will have the speed. That way you can try and link good technique with the desired outcome.

Oct 4, 2018
Our hitting instructor uses a pocket radar to measure exit velocity.

So yesterday I used the Bushnell in the exact same way to measure DD exit velocity. It didn't work. At all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez