Brush interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
How does brush interference not cause injury to your forearm. If you constantly hit your forearm on your hip/leg you will end up with a stress fracture.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
You're misinterpreting what you've read. Brush vs Hit. Watch some of the really good slow mo vids of Finch, Scarborough or Pauley that have been posted on here and it will give you a better sense of what is being talked about.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
How does brush interference not cause injury to your forearm. If you constantly hit your forearm on your hip/leg you will end up with a stress fracture.

No!

I am a firm believer in brush interference. Almost all high-end pitchers do it. They've either been taught to do it or they come to do it naturally.

Jul 26, 2010
How can walking not cause an injury, you're constantly slamming your body weight on the heels and balls of your feet over and over and over again!

Seriously though, brush interference CAN cause a stress fracture in some kids. This can be either an individual muscle/bone strength issue, or more likely, poor mechanics. It is important to understand that it is a brush, not a hit, the impact needs to be spread over a larger area and the forearm needs to "roll" over the lower torso/frontal pelvis. The arm is not supposed to make contact with the hip. If the kid is fat, she'll be brushing her belly.

-W

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You don't need brush interference, at least not at the hip/forearm. Don't listen to everything you read on a board.

I'm no expert but I've seen a ton of clips of college pitchers who regularly use brush interference.

I haven't seen too many clips of college pitchers who do not use brush interference. Do you have a few clips or names of successful college pitchers you could suggest who do not use brush interference? I mean maybe there a ton of them I just don't see it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I was a skeptic when I first heard it mentioned. Yeah, I realized that almost every great pitcher seemed to use it, but it somehow didn't sink in. I tried it out casually here and there. Nothing...

Later, I found myself walking around and swinging my arm back and forth and brushing on the forward swing. I started to feel it. I chatted for quite some time on the phone with Rich Balswick about it. I watched more video. I exchanged PM's with Rick Pauly and checked out his Brush Interference video. I finally took some time in between lessons to play around some more.

What I've found is that forearm brush, brush interference, the flapper-gadget-thingy, or whatever... it's the real deal. I can't begin to tell you how big the lightbulb was when it really hit hit me how beneficial this little technique can be.

Try it. Try it again. Try it one more time. I guarantee that when you figure it out, you'll drop your jaw and wonder why you didn't realize how something so prolific was so elusive. It's the real deal. It doesn't hurt. It does amazing things. Give it a chance.

Really.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
OILF,
As much as I have to thank you for helping me improve my curriculum for my pitchers, you are wrong on this. You say you have no clue about pitching and rely on your PC's to deal with the technicalities... If this is really true, then why do you post so many crazy opinions about pitching that fly in the face of what is so readily observed in 95% of the world's greatest? Learn, experiment, open your eyes. You say you're a coach; but you come across like a drill sgt with no regard for learning, growing and improving.

Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

It's not a hit, or even a bump. It's a brush. Watch video of the best. You'll see it over and over. My youngest kids can tell you it works for them. Give it a chance.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Go to pauleygirlfastpitch.com
You'll find a plethora of quality pitching videos. The guy there (Rick) is the real deal. Take what he teaches and study it.
Pay no mind to those who already know it all and have been stuck in left field somewhere on a rec league pee wee field. The whole point of teaching or coaching, is to never stop learning your subject matter.
Brush interference for me, is more about maintaining a tight to the body and consistent arm circle and release point, and not about actually jamming your arm into your side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA