Can pitching too fast too young make a kid more susceptible to injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
So you are in the worry about accuracy and speed will come in time camp. I know quite a few are in the throw hard and accuracy will come in time camp.

I remember my daughter playing a team that had a "throw hard, who cares about the rest" pitcher. The girls were terrified. She threw a one-hitter against us. We won 18-16.

One thing to bear in mind is that these kids are still growing. So you are not only putting strain on them, but growing is putting a strain on their bodies also. Somebody mentioned "bigger" kids and injury rates. A "bigger" kid is likely going through an abnormal growth spurt and their body may not be keeping up with it. They are also constantly learning how to "function" and move that body, which could also make them more susceptible to a stress injury. Just my uneducated opinion though.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
For the guys that have been doing this a long time. Have you ever seen or do you think it is possible for young kids to pitch too fast at a young age, causing them to be more susceptible to injuries. Let’s say you have two girls 9 years old. One throws high 30’s the other high 40’s does the one throwing harder have a greater chance of injury due to more stress and ligaments and tendons and such not fully developed.

My simple answer would be Yes that the girl that is throwing harder is more likely to be more injury prone. Not because she is throwing harder but because she is very likely throwing a lot more than the other girls. The girl that is throwing harder is also much more likely to be overused by coaches if she has good control.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For the guys that have been doing this a long time. Have you ever seen or do you think it is possible for young kids to pitch too fast at a young age, causing them to be more susceptible to injuries. Let’s say you have two girls 9 years old. One throws high 30’s the other high 40’s does the one throwing harder have a greater chance of injury due to more stress and ligaments and tendons and such not fully developed.

At that age, it's more about good mechanics than speed. There isn't a whole lot of stress on the arm until around 50MPH *IF* a kid is using good mechanics.

A 9YOA kid throwing 50MPH will most likely have terrible mechanics, and so is probably in danger of getting injured.

May 18, 2019
I think less likely. Speed comes from good mechanics which also make you less injury prone. This assumes of course that they aren't over throwing but pitching is one of those glorious things where good mechanics equals both speed and accuracy
. Always focus on the mechanics and the others will come.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Bad mechanics and speed can be a bad combo and cause injuries but that really doesn't have a lot to do with speed especially in younger ages. Mostly in 10U/12U it is early maturers who have a physical advantage that throw truly fast for the age group. Having a team with a lot of early maturers wins a LOT of games in 10U/12U.

So go ahead and throw hard.

The much biggest reason flamethrowers in 10U give up pitching by 14U everyone catches up physically and so they can't blow it by anyone anymore and that is their only plan and a lot of them don't know how to handle being hit around when it happens.

The mid-speed pitchers develop 'how' to get batters out without relying on speed so when they develop into it, they are really effective.

Jun 8, 2016
The much biggest reason flamethrowers in 10U give up pitching by 14U everyone catches up physically and so they can't blow it by anyone anymore and that is their only plan and a lot of them don't know how to handle being hit around when it happens.
This is a coaching problem, not a kid problem.

Feb 3, 2023
Bad mechanics and speed can be a bad combo and cause injuries but that really doesn't have a lot to do with speed especially in younger ages. Mostly in 10U/12U it is early maturers who have a physical advantage that throw truly fast for the age group. Having a team with a lot of early maturers wins a LOT of games in 10U/12U.

So go ahead and throw hard.

The mid-speed pitchers develop 'how' to get batters out without relying on speed so when they develop into it, they are really effective.

What would you classify as mid speed for 10U and 12U?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles