Brush interference/Arm Circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Fair enough!!! Where do you live? Perhaps someone here knows a coach that will teach the things you're looking for. Personally, I cannot speak to Elish's coaching, I've never met her or seen what she teaches. That said..... Keep in mind most pitchers teach things the way they learned them as a kid. Many times, these things are Hello Elbow mechanics. Somewhere along the way, the really talented pitchers stop doing the H/E things and they use their body in the opposite way of what they were taught as a kid. There is an Olympic pitcher that is rather famous for this, she talks and promotes H/E mechanics but when she pitched, she didn't use those mechanics in games. But, when she does camps/clinics, she reverts right back to the way she was "taught" even though she doesn't pitch like that. 99.9999% of people won't challenger her on that and see the difference from what she does vs. what she says. They oogle at her Gold medals and do what she SAYS, not what she DOES. Personally, I think there's very few female coaches, who were pitchers, that do a deep dive on what they actually did as a pitcher to see the difference of what they taught vs. what they do. As a result, they simply teach all the things we know to be fundamentally wrong because that's how they learned long ago. And by "fundamentally wrong" I'm talking about the way our bodies are designed to move and work, not petty differences like grips on the ball for pitches.

I've never met a male pitcher who had a pitching coach like girls do today. Guys learn pitching by imitating what they see, and sometimes asking some questions to other pitchers. But they don't have pitching coaches like the girls do. This has its pro's and con's. Using myself as an example, I would pitch every single day of my life from when I was about 13-18, or as close to every day as I could. In between I'd constantly be asking questions of pitchers about how they hold the ball, why did they do this or that, etc. So, the downside is I didn't have someone helping me day to day or week to week. But as a positive, I didn't have to unlearn H/E mechanics along the way to have a prosperous career. There are so many good female pitchers that could've been GREAT if they didn't have to unlearn things that not going to help their pitching in the long run.

Perhaps Ms. Elish will let you watch a lesson or 2 to see what she teaches and if it jives with what you want in a coach?? Personally, I let people watch me all the time. Maybe she'd let you too???

Jun 8, 2016
I believe Elish is giving lessons in the Stillwater area and is also coaching a 14U team up there with Sydney Pennington (I think my kid's team just played them last weekend and DD said they had two coaches who "used to play for OSU"..I didn't go to the game so cannot confirm :ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles