Brush interference/Arm Circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2021
Couple of questions.
1. Does Miranda Elish have BI?

2. If a pitchers arm goes behind her in her arm circle is that bad and how would you fix it?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
Couple of questions.
1. Does Miranda Elish have BI?

2. If a pitchers arm goes behind her in her arm circle is that bad and how would you fix it?

1. Yes, though the illusion is not much. A lot of people get confused about where brush interference takes place and assumes pitchers don't have it if their wrist isn't wrapping the thigh as some pitchers do. BI takes place just below the elbow, not at the wrist. If the elbow is slotting into the side and has a pause while the lower arm whips by, then BI is achieved.

2. Generally yes. Have her concentrate on bringing the ball over her shoulder or even a little outside the shoulder until the issue is corrected. Starting slow and gradually working to full speed. This is a general solution that assumes the arm circle is the problem and there isn't some other issue causing the arm to go behind the body.

Aug 20, 2021
1. Yes, though not much.

2. Generally yes. Have her concentrate on bringing the ball over her shoulder or even a little outside the shoulder until the issue is corrected. Starting slow and gradually working to full speed. This is a general solution that assumes the arm circle is the problem and there isn't some other issue causing the arm to go behind the body.
What other issues would cause this

Apr 12, 2015
What other issues would cause this

Several. Put her on the power line and have her throw with no step. If the arm circle is fine there, the issue lies elsewhere.

Without specific video of what you are talking about all anyone is going to be able to do is guess about both the cause and solution, however.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She could be opening her shoulders too much. Some pitchers start their circle by opening/turning their shoulders rather using the circle to open. Or she could be hypermobile (double jointed), this would allow her arm to get behind her without 'over opening'.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
1) Yes

2) Without video, it’s tough to say. If you’re talking about the arm coming down the backside into release—that’s a definite positive. Scap load is utilized for optimal overhand throwing, hitting and definitely in the windmill pitching motion.

Jun 8, 2016
I have an important question. Why use the word interference. What is it hindering..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles